1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Faraday's law

1. Nov 13, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A circular loop of wire with radius 0.0300m and resistance 0.380Ω is in a region of spatially uniform magnetic field, as shown in the following figure(Figure 1). The magnetic field is directed into the plane of the figure. At t = 0, B = 0. The magnetic field then begins increasing, with B(t)=( 0.350T/s3)t3.

2. Relevant equations
    ε = -N*(dΦB / dt)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Area = pi*r^2 = pi(.03^2) = .0028 m^2

Magnetic field is perpendicular to plane of loop.

ΦB = (B→)⋅dA→ = BA cos(Θ)

B(t) is given at an instant where it equals 1.42 T, so solving 1.42 = .35 t^3 for t: (1.42/.35)^(1/3) = 1.59 seconds

I then reason that since t and be started at 0, at this given instant dB = 1.42 Tesla and dt = 1.59 seconds.

Since only the magnetic field changes, I can say dΦB/dt = (dB/dt)Acos(Θ)

Since Θ = 0 due to magnetic field being perpendicular to plane of loop, it simplifies to dΦB/dt = (dB/dt)A

So ε = 1*(dB/dt)A = (1.42/1.59)*.0028 = .0025 volts

However the question asks for current I in the loop, so I said ε = IR: thus ε/R = I by ohm's law

.0025 volts / .380 ohms = .0065 Amps.

This is incorrect, the correct answer was .0199 Amps and I'm not sure what I did wrong. Was I supposed to differentiate B(t) or something? I got the direction of the current in the loop correct, I understand Lemz law and recall the common right hand rule conventions. Any and all help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello.
    Dividing 1.42 T by 1.59 s gives the average rate of change of the B field during the time interval between t = 0 and t = 1.59 s. But you need the instantaneous rate of change of B at the instant when t = 1.59 s.

4. Nov 13, 2014 #3
    I see, so I would differentiate B(t) to get 3(.350 T)t^2, and then plug in t = 1.59 seconds to find the instantaneous rate of change of B at that instant, correct?

dB/dt is just saying the derivative of B with respect to t, so my derivation above and then plug in t =1.59 to find dB/dt at that instant of 1.59 seconds? That would be the change in magnetic field at that instant which when combined with it's propagation across the area .0028 m^2, is what induces the electromotive force in the loop.

So dB/dt with that said is 3(1.59^2)(.350) = 2.65

2.65(area of .0028 m^2) = .00742 volts

.00742 volts / .380 ohms = .0195 amps, and the answer was .019 amps for sig figs. Thank you so much! I see how I went wrong now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted