1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using First Isomorphism Theorem with quotient rings

1. Mar 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Try to apply the First Isomorphism Theorem by starting with a homomorphism from a polynomial ring [itex]R[x][/itex] to some other ring [itex]S[/itex].

Let [itex]I = \mathbb{Z}_2[x]x^2[/itex] and [itex]J = \mathbb{Z}_2[x](x^2+1)[/itex]. Prove that [itex]\mathbb{Z}_2[x]/I[/itex] is isomorphic to [itex]\mathbb{Z}/J[/itex] by using the homomorphism [itex]\mathbb{Z}_2[x] \rightarrow \mathbb{Z}_2[x][/itex] given by [itex]x \rightarrow x+1[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    First isomorphism theorem states that if [itex]\varphi: R \rightarrow S[/itex] is a homomorphism then [itex]R / ker \varphi[/itex] is isomorphic to Image[itex]\varphi[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    The only thing that I was able to think of was to use the First Isomorphism Theorem twice to find some ring S that both [itex]\mathbb{Z}/I[/itex] and [itex]\mathbb{Z}/J[/itex] are isomorphic (hence making them isomorphic to each other), but I am completely stumped about which ring S I should use. I'm also confused about how the homomorphism given will help?

I attempted to find [itex]kernel (\varphi)[/itex], but had no luck as I'm confused about how which functions would be s.t. [itex]f(x+1)=0[/itex] in [itex]\mathbb{Z}_2[x][/itex]?

I did notice that [itex]\varphi (x^2+1) = (x+1)^2+1 = x^2 + 2x + 1 + 1 = x^2[/itex] in [itex]\mathbb{Z}_2[x][/itex]. Similarly, [itex]\varphi (x^2) = (x+1)^2 = x^2 + 2x + 1 = x^2 + 1[/itex], but I'm not sure how exactly this could help.

Any hint on where to get started would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?