1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Fourier analysis to find frequency-amplitude spectrum?

1. Jan 22, 2005 #1
    The signal is from a voltage supply. I see lots of pages on the internet about this, such as this one, which shows what the magnitude spectrum looks like for a square wave with an arbitrary number of co-efficients. But how would I actually create that graph myself?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is this a question of COMPUTER PROGRAMMING,MATHS or PHYSICS??

Think deep...To me it looks like pogramming...What programming languages do u know?

4. Jan 22, 2005 #3
    It's a math question I suppose. I need to know the steps to find a fourier transformation. I know that MATLAB and other computer programs can solve this type of problem, but I want to understand the math behind it.
  5. Jan 22, 2005 #4

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

the Fourier coefficitents are calculated using the formulas

[tex] F(x) = \sum^{\infty} _{0} A_{n}\cos\left(\frac{n\pi x}{a} \right ) + B_{n}\sin\left (\frac{n\pi x}{a}\right )[/tex]

[tex] A_{n} =\frac{1}{a} \int _{-a} ^{a} F(x)\cos\left (\frac{n\pi x}{a}\right ) dx [/tex]

[tex] B_{n} =\frac{1}{a} \int _{-a} ^{a} F(x)\sin\left (\frac{n\pi x}{a} \right ) dx [/tex]

from here plug in the periodic function and do the integrals...........
  6. Jan 22, 2005 #5
    Wait, what is a?
  7. Jan 22, 2005 #6

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

a is the periodicity of the signal..........
  8. Jan 23, 2005 #7
    Thanks for the help Dr. Transport. But in the end I ended up using this formula:

[tex]f_n=\frac{1}{T}\int_0^T v(t) e^{-j n \omega t} dt[/tex]

where n is some arbitrary number of coefficients. Also, n is the index of f (an array). Then I plotted [tex]\overrightarrow{\left|f\right|}_n[/tex] versus [tex]\frac{n}{T}[/tex]

I don't fully understand this, but it seemed to work.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2005
  9. Dec 22, 2009 #8
    the last equation stated is complex Fourier series while the earlier stated equation is trigonometry Fourier series. i'm done.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?