1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Frobenius Method

1. Nov 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I want to find two linearly independent solutions of
    $$
    x^{2}y''-2x^{2}y'+(4x-2)y=0.
    $$

3. The attempt at a solution
    The roots to the indicial polynomial are ##r_{1}=2## and ##r_{2}=-1##.
    I found one solution which was ##x^{2}## and I am having trouble finding the second solution.
    After all of the arithmetic I came up with the equation
    $$
    [r(r-1)-2]c_{0}+\sum\limits_{k=1}^{\infty}\left[(k+r)(k+r-1)-2\right]c_{k}x^{k}+4c_{k-1}x^{k}-2c_{k-1}(k+r-1)x^{k}.
    $$
    I let ##r=-1## so that I get
    $$
    \left[(k-1)(k-2)-2\right]c_{k}+4c_{k-1}-2c_{k-1}(k-2)=0
    $$
    and so
    $$
    c_{k}=\frac{2(k-4)c_{k-1}}{k(k-3)}.
    $$
    The recurrence relation becomes undefined for k=3 and onwards. How do I deal with this? The solution skips ##c_{3}## and seemingly magically obtains a formula for ##c_{4}## and onwards.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2013 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

First of all I guess the equation should be
    [tex]x^{2}y''-2x^{2}y'-(4x+2)y=0,[/tex]
    because otherwitse [itex]y(x)=x^2[/itex] isn't a solution, and your indical roots are not [itex]2[/itex] and [itex]-1[/itex].

Assuming the above ODE, you get the indical equation to be yours,
    [tex]r(r-1)-2=0 \; \Rightarrow r_1=2, \quad r_2=-1,[/tex]
    and the recursion equation reads (after some algebra)
    [tex]C_k k(k+2r-1)-2 C_{k-1}(k+r-3)=0.[/tex]

Now here you have the special case of a Fuchs-class ODE, where the difference of the indical roots is natural and not 0. In this case you always have this "problem" with the coefficient of [itex]c_{r_1-r_2}[/itex] becoming [itex]0[/itex] for the solution for the smaller indical root, [itex]r<2[/itex]. For the solution [itex]y_1[/itex] referring to the larger indical root, there is no problem with the recursion. Given this solution, the correct ansatz for the 2nd linearly independent solution is
    [tex]y_2(x)=\gamma y_1(x) \ln x+x^{r_2} \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} C_k x^k.[/tex]
    Of course you assume [itex]C_0 \neq 0[/itex]. Then for [itex]k<r_1-r_2[/itex] the recursion can be used to get the coefficients for these [itex]k[/itex]. For [itex]k=r_1-r_2[/itex] you find that you can set [itex]C_{r_1-r_2}=0[/itex] and then get [itex]\gamma[/itex] uniquely, and for [itex]k>r_1-r_2[/itex] you get another recursion relation which is well-defined for the [itex]C_k[/itex] with [itex]k>r_1-r_2[/itex].

4. Nov 17, 2013 #3
    The equation is ##x^{2}y''-2x^{2}y'+(4x-2)y=0##. Unless I'm completely crazy, ##y(x)=x^{2}## is a solution.

5. Nov 17, 2013 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Argh. When copying your equation to a piece of paper, I wrote [itex]+2x^2y'[/itex] for the middle term. Of course, you are right, for
    [tex]x^2 y''-2x^2 y'+(4x-2)y=0[/tex]
    one solution is [itex]y_1=x^2[/itex].

The rest of my posting is, however correct. For [itex]r=-1[/itex] you make the ansatz
    [tex]y(x)=\gamma x^2 \ln x+z(x), \quad z(x)=\frac{1}{x} \sum_{k=0}^{\infty} d_k x^k.[/tex]
    This plugged into the ODE you get after some algebra the equation
    [tex]\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} [d_k k(k-3)+d_{k-1} (8-2k)] x^k=(-3x^3+2x^4)\gamma.[/tex]
    Setting [itex]d_0=1[/itex] you get recursively all the [itex]d_k[/itex] by comparing coefficients. [itex]d_3[/itex] is of course arbitrary. You can set it to [itex]0[/itex].

6. Nov 17, 2013 #5
    Ah! Thanks! I see what I was doing wrong now. I was plugging in ##y(x)=z(x)## to try to get the second solution instead of the correct ##y(x)=cx^{2}\ln x+z(x)##. Thanks for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted