1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Generalization of Bohr Rule for 1D Harmonic Oscillator

1. Oct 15, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The generalization of the bohr rule to periodic motion more general than circular orbit states that:
    ∫p.dr = nh = 2∏nh(bar).

the integral is a closed line integral and the "p" and "r" are vectors

Using the generalized rule (the integral above), show that the spectrum for the one-dimensional harmonic oscillator, for which E = p^2/2m + (1/2)m*ω^2*x^2, is E = nh(bar)ω.

2. Relevant equations

px = nh(bar)
    p= m*ω*x

3. The attempt at a solution

I have put p in terms of E and x, to get p=sqrt(2mE-m^2*ω^2*x^2).

I took the indefinite integral of that expression with respect to x, since the problem is one-dimensional, and got (1/2)x*sqrt(2mE-m^2*ω^2*x^2) + (E*arctan((m*ω*x)/(sqrt(2mE-m^2*ω^2*x^2))))/ω. Both WolframAlpha and my TI-89 give this same answer.

I realize here that, replacing sqrt(2mE-m^2*ω^2*x^2) with p and p with m*ω*x, the arctangent simplifies to arctan(1)=pi/4 and the first term simplifies to (1/2)x*p= (1/2)nh(bar). However, I'm not sure where to go from here, or even positive if this is correct.

I know--or rather, think I know--that I'm supposed to set this integral equal to 2∏nh(bar) and solve for E.

However, the professor indicated we needed to find the endpoints where "the kinetic energy is zero." I know one of these points would be 0, but what's the other? Does it even matter here?

I'm really not seeing how I can get a result of E=nh(bar)ω. Even if I plug in E=nh(bar)ω into my indefinite integral I'm not coming up with the right answer.

Please, any help is very greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I have also realized that, since the integral is a closed loop, my integral should essentially be multiplied by 2 to account for the trip back.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?