Solving for Area using Green's Theorem with Astroid Equations | Homework Help

In summary, the conversation was about finding the area of a region enclosed by an astroid using a line integral. The person used Green's Theorem and simplified the integral to \frac{3a}{2} \int_0^{2\pi} cos^2\phi sin^2\phi d\phi. They then applied half angle and other angle formulas to solve for the area.
khemist

Homework Statement

Use a line integral to find the area of the region enclosed by astroid
x = acos3[tex]\phi[/tex]
y = asin3[tex]\phi[/tex]

0 [tex]\leq \phi \leq 2\pi[/tex]

Homework Equations

I used Green's Theorem:

[tex] \oint_C xdy - ydx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved for dx and dy from my parametric equations. I then plugged in x, y, dx, and dy into the integral to solve for the area.

After simplifying, I came out with:

[tex] \frac {3a}{2} \int_0^{2\pi} cos^2\phi sin^2\phi d\phi[/tex]

Now in order to solve this, I used a half angle formula, [tex]cos\phi sin\phi = (\frac{1}{2}sin2\phi)^2 = \frac {1}{4}sin^2 2\phi [/tex]

Which then I used a different angle formula to get:[tex] \frac{1}{8}(1-cos4\phi)[/tex]

Am I on the right track? I would then integrate to solve...

The latex on my computer isn't working, but hopefully its working on everyone else's?

Physics news on Phys.org
I get the coefficent outside the integral to be 3a^{2} but apart from that I see nothing wrong with this working.

What is Green's Theorem and how is it used in science?

Green's Theorem is a mathematical tool used in vector calculus to calculate the line integral of a two-dimensional vector field over a closed curve. In science, it is commonly used to calculate work done by a force or the circulation of a fluid flow.

What are the conditions for using Green's Theorem?

In order to use Green's Theorem, the vector field must be continuous and have continuous first-order partial derivatives, and the curve must be simple and closed (no self-intersections) with a counterclockwise orientation.

How does Green's Theorem relate to Stokes' Theorem and the Divergence Theorem?

Green's Theorem is a special case of Stokes' Theorem, which is a higher-dimensional version of Green's Theorem. The Divergence Theorem is another special case of Stokes' Theorem. All three theorems are fundamental tools in vector calculus for calculating integrals over closed surfaces and volumes.

What are some real-world applications of Green's Theorem?

Green's Theorem has many practical applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating the work done by a force on a moving object, determining the flow of a fluid around an obstacle, and analyzing electric and magnetic fields in electromagnetism.

Are there any limitations or restrictions when using Green's Theorem?

Green's Theorem is limited to only two-dimensional vector fields and closed curves. It also assumes that the vector field and curve are well-behaved and have certain properties, which may not always hold in real-world situations. Additionally, calculating line integrals using Green's Theorem can be time-consuming and complex for more complicated vector fields and curves.