Will using Griffith and Purcell benefit a beginner in E&M?

In summary, Alonso and Finn say that both University Physics by Young et al. and Serway's book are verbose and banal, but they are helpful in understanding concepts. They suggest that a beginner in the subject would profit from working with both books.
mk9898
Hello,

I've been researching textbooks to use for my first-year E&M course and since I have no previous knowledge of E&M, I've been reading University Physics by Young et al. and Serway's book. I am pretty annoyed at the verbosity of the texts and the banal exercises where most exercises are just plug-ins. On the other hand they have helped me understand some concepts but they just take too long to get to the point as if the reader is slow to understand.

The level of the E&M course is very high for a second semester which is also why I am stressing to keep up. My math is good enough I believe for Purcell and Griffith but I am curious if you think that a essentially beginner in the subject would profit from working with both books?

How are the exercises in the two texts? Are they challenging and beneficial to do? Meaning, after doing the problems should I be able to master the subject?

Physics news on Phys.org
For Purcell, definitely yes, if you can do the problems, you have the subject at a very high level. First year classical physics misses out the Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formalisms, so you will still have to learn that in later years. I'm not so familiar with the problems in Griffiths, but from the few I have done, I should think they are also well worth working through.

I don't understand, your course is very challenging, and you're struggling to keep up, so why are you looking for a more advanced book?

Either way, Do Purcell, Griffths is usually used for an intermediate E+M course.

Last edited:
mk9898 said:
I've been reading University Physics by Young et al. and Serway's book
Those are typical of the textbooks used for introductory physics in the US, except at some elite universities. Griffiths is typically used in upper-level undergraduate courses, usually 3rd or 4th year. Purcell's level is in-between, and IIRC it is in fact used as a first-year book at some schools. I seem to remember MIT uses it, but I'm not sure about it.

So if you want a more advanced book as a supplement, I would suggest Purcell rather than Griffiths. You might also try the Feynman Lectures on Physics which can be read online for free.

I would try Kip: Fundamentals of Electricity and Magnetism.

Alonso and Finn: Fundamental University Physics volume 2.

What is Griffith and Purcell?

Griffith and Purcell is a method used in nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy to determine the structure of molecules.

How does Griffith and Purcell work?

This method involves applying a strong magnetic field to a sample, causing the nuclei in the sample to align with the field. A radio frequency pulse is then applied, which causes the nuclei to temporarily shift out of alignment. As they return to their original alignment, they emit a signal that can be detected and used to determine the structure of the molecule.

What are the advantages of using Griffith and Purcell?

Griffith and Purcell is a non-destructive technique, meaning the sample is not altered or destroyed during the process. It is also highly sensitive and can provide detailed information about the structure of molecules.

Are there any limitations to using Griffith and Purcell?

One limitation is that this method can only provide structural information for molecules with certain types of nuclei, such as hydrogen or carbon. Additionally, the results can be affected by external factors such as temperature and impurities in the sample.

What are some practical applications of Griffith and Purcell?

Griffith and Purcell is commonly used in chemistry, biochemistry, and pharmaceutical research to determine the structures of molecules. It can also be used in the medical field to diagnose diseases and monitor the progress of treatments.