1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using hand to detect fever

1. Feb 28, 2007 #1
    I need to know WHY you can't tell if you have a high fever with your own hand...

I am thinking that it is because your body temp. is all equal???

Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2007 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

That's the answer I would expect, yes. I'm not sure there's a definitive answer.

4. Feb 28, 2007 #3
    because both your head and hand are sensitive to heat and touch and the signals would just get mixed up. If you touch someone elses head the only signal going to your brain is from your hand.

5. Feb 28, 2007 #4

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, that's right. When you put your hand on someone's forehead, you are comparing their skin temperature to yours. If it's your hot hand on your own hot forehead it's tough to tell.

The method is a little complicated in any case because air cools your hand to a low temperature due to its large surface area (large relative to the hand's volume). For the record, normal forehead temp is about 35.4C (95.7F), hand around 33.3C (91.9F). As a result, even non-febrile foreheads feel warm to hands and young parents panic until they take their child's temp with a thermometer and see it's normal. Experience helps here. Some people use their lips, but they're about the same temp as hands so that's not much help. Doesn't work on your own forehead either...:rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?