How can I use IFT to find the inverse of a function?

• Thread starter TylerH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inverse
In summary, the conversation discussed the use of IFT (Inverse Function Theorem) to find the inverse of a function. However, the formula \int \frac{dx}{df(x)}dx does not work with the function f(x)=x^2. The conversation also clarified the difference between inverse and reciprocal and referred to the statement of the IFT on Wikipedia. The question was then refined to inquire about the correct application of IFT to find the inverse of x^2.
TylerH
How does one use IFT to find the inverse of a function? I thought it was something like [tex]\int \frac{dx}{df(x)}dx[/tex]. But that doesn't work with f(x)=x^2:[tex]\int \frac{dx}{2x}=\frac{1}{2} \log{x} \neq f^{-1}(x)[/tex].

Physics news on Phys.org
BTW, IFT = Inverse Function Theorem.

The reason I asked is because I remember something like this from calc II and I was wanting to use it to find the inverse of a function.

You seem to be mixing up inverse with reciprocal. Example: the inverse of y=x2 is x = √y, not y= 1/x2.

Thanks for the reply! I was beginning to wonder if I was so incorrigibly wrong that no one was even willing to try. :P

The reciprocal is the multiplicative inverse, and multiplication is a function that forms a group over the rationals. The inverse of a function is the function created by mapping each element of the range to the element of the domain that maps to it (and it only exists for one to one functions). I'm generally advanced in math, I've just been slipping a little because I don't have any math classes this year.

I got 1/(2x) from dx/(df(x)). df(x) = 2x dx.

The theorem I'm referring to is stated here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse_function_theorem#Statement_of_the_theorem. From that theorem, I should be able to integrate 1/f'(x) to find f inverse. Like this: [tex]f^{-1}(f(x))=\int \frac{dx}{f'(x)}[/tex]. However, this doesn't work with f(x)=x^2 (at least not for me, see my first post). I think I'm either integrating incorrectly or integrating in terms of the wrong variable. So, I guess my question should be: "How is IFT applied to find the inverse of x^2"?

f-1(f(x)) = x.

What is IFT?

IFT stands for Inverse Fourier Transform, a mathematical operation that allows us to find the original signal or function from its Fourier transform. In other words, it helps us determine the time domain representation of a frequency domain signal.

Why is IFT important?

IFT is important because it allows us to analyze signals or functions in both the time and frequency domains. This is essential in many fields such as engineering, physics, and data science, where signals are often represented as a combination of different frequencies.

How does IFT work?

IFT is based on the Fourier transform, which decomposes a signal into its individual frequencies. The IFT then reverses this process by combining these frequencies to reconstruct the original signal. It uses complex numbers and integrals to perform this operation.

When should I use IFT?

IFT should be used when you need to analyze a signal or function in both the time and frequency domains. It is especially useful in applications such as signal processing, image processing, and data compression.

What are the limitations of using IFT to find inverse?

While IFT is a powerful tool, it has some limitations. It can only be used for signals or functions that have a Fourier transform, which means they must be periodic and have a finite energy. IFT also assumes that the signal is continuous, which may not always be the case in real-world situations.