Using integral calculus to find the equation of the quartic

In summary, the equation of the quartic is f”(x) = k(x-1)(x-3)Hi Jaimee, have you tried integrating the second derivative? Or are you unsure how to do the integration?Currently i have thisf”(x)=k(x-1)(x-3)∫f”(x)=∫k(x-1)(x-3)f’(x)=k∫(x−3)(x−1)dxf’(x)=((k(x−3)^2 (x))/3)+Cbut f(x)=24 x=0
Jaimee

Homework Statement

The question states Use integral calculus to find the euation of the quartic that has (1,23) and (3, 15) and a y-intercept of 24.

Homework Equations

The previous part of the question was A quartic has stationary points of inflection at x=1 and x=3. Explain why f"(x)=k(x-1)(x-3) where k doesn't =0

The Attempt at a Solution

Part A:

A quartic has a non-stationary points of inflection at x=1 and x=3. Explain why f”(x)=k(x-1)(x-3) k≠0

A quartics points of inflection can be found by equating its second derivative to zero.

as f”(x)=k(x-1)(x-3) if f”(x)=0

0=k(x-1)(x-3)

if k≠0

0=(x-1)(x-3)

and hence x=1 and x=3Part B:

Use integral calculus to find the equation of the quartic that has (1,23) and (3,15) and a y-intercept of 24.

f”(x)=k(x-1)(x-3)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Jaimee, have you tried integrating the second derivative? Or are you unsure how to do the integration?

Currently i have this
f”(x)=k(x-1)(x-3)

∫f”(x)=∫k(x-1)(x-3)

f’(x)=k∫(x−3)(x−1)dx

f’(x)=((k(x−3)^2 (x))/3)+C

but f(x)=24 x=0

f’(0)=0

0=((k(0−3)^2 (0))/3)+C

0=0+C

C=0
therefore f'(x)=((k(x−3)^2 (x))/3)

Thread moved -- if the title includes "calculus" the thread doesn't belong in the Precalculus section.

Jaimee said:
Currently i have this
f”(x)=k(x-1)(x-3)

∫f”(x)=∫k(x-1)(x-3)

f’(x)=k∫(x−3)(x−1)dx

but f(x)=24 x=0

f’(0)=0

0=((k(0−3)^2 (0))/3)+C

0=0+C

C=0
therefore f'(x)=((k(x−3)^2 (x))/3)

I'm not sure I follow the third line: f’(x)=((k(x−3)^2 (x))/3)+C
Maybe try expanding (x-3)(x-1) before integrating. Also you want a quartic (order 4) so does that mean your answer can be found with the first derivative? Or do you need to do an extra step?

EDIT: I mean the 4th line not the third. In future its good practice to number your equations, it will help people help you! :).

Jaimee said:
Currently i have this
f”(x)=k(x-1)(x-3)

∫f”(x)=∫k(x-1)(x-3)

f’(x)=k∫(x−3)(x−1)dx

As already noted, the line above is wrong. I can't tell what you did. You should expand (x - 3)(x - 1) before atempting to integrate.
Jaimee said:
but f(x)=24 x=0
From the given information about the y-intercept, f(0) = 24, not f(x) = 24.

Starting with f''(x), you need to integrate twice to get f(x). At each integration there will be a constant of integration.
Jaimee said:
Use integral calculus to find the equation of the quartic that has (1,23) and (3,15) and a y-intercept of 24.
When you get to a formula for f(x), there should be two constants of integration. Use the fact that f(1) = 23, f(3) = 15, and f(0) = 24 to determine those constants of integration and the constant k.

Your function should be a fourth-degree polynomial with all coefficients determined.

1. How is integral calculus used to find the equation of a quartic function?

Integral calculus is used to find the equation of a quartic function by integrating the function's derivative. This process is known as antidifferentiation, and it allows us to find the original function from its derivative. In the case of a quartic function, we can use integral calculus to find the equation by integrating the fourth derivative of the function.

2. What is the general form of a quartic function's equation?

The general form of a quartic function's equation is f(x) = ax4 + bx3 + cx2 + dx + e, where a, b, c, d, and e are constants. This form is also known as a polynomial function of degree four.

3. Can you explain the process of using integral calculus to find the equation of a quartic function step by step?

To find the equation of a quartic function using integral calculus, we first need to find the fourth derivative of the function. Then, we integrate the fourth derivative to find the third derivative, and continue this process until we have integrated the function's first derivative. Finally, we solve for the constant terms by using the initial conditions of the function.

4. Are there any specific techniques or methods used to solve quartic equations using integral calculus?

Yes, there are a few techniques that can be used to solve quartic equations using integral calculus. These include the method of undetermined coefficients, the method of variation of parameters, and the method of reduction of order. Each of these methods involves a different approach to solving the equation, and they can be used depending on the specific form of the quartic function.

5. What are some real-life applications of using integral calculus to find the equation of a quartic function?

Integral calculus is used in various fields of science and engineering to model and analyze real-life situations. In the case of quartic functions, they can be used to represent physical phenomena such as the motion of a pendulum or the trajectory of a projectile. By finding the equation of a quartic function, we can make predictions and understand the behavior of these systems in the real world.