1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Integration by Parts

1. Feb 25, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    indefinite integral dx/((e^x)(sqrt(1-e(-2x))))
    using integration by parts evaluate the integral.

2. Relevant equations

integral u*dv = u*v- integral v*du

3. The attempt at a solution

To be completely and entirely honest i am not even sure where to start with this problem. I have finished other integration by parts homework questions in this assignment but this one i can't find something to choose for u and dv that will work out correctly.:grumpy: I have been at this problem alone from almost 2 hours. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2007 #2
    Are you sure it wasn't

[tex] \sqrt {1-e^{-2x}} [/tex]

instead of [tex] \sqrt {1-e(-2x)} [/tex], since that is a very strange way of writing it.

If so, just remember that [tex] \frac {1}{e^{x}} = e^{-x} = \sqrt {e^{-2x}} [/tex] and set [tex] u = e^{-2x} [/tex]
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  4. Feb 25, 2007 #3
    It was supposed to be
    1/ [tex] \sqrt {1-e^{-2x}} [/tex]

**How did you get that equation to show up that way? I just copy and pasted what you had to make it work this time and was curious how i would go about doing that.
  5. Feb 25, 2007 #4
    There is a \frac command in LaTex. To use it just type \frac {numerator}{denominator}

So your problem would show up as:

[tex] \int {\frac{dx}{e^{x}\sqrt{1-e^{-2x}}}[/tex]

**Also check out this guide to LaTex typesetting
  6. Feb 25, 2007 #5
    Thank You for your help. It is really appreciated.
  7. Feb 26, 2007 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If nothing else there is a "^" key on your computer that can be used to indicate exponents.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?