Using Integration by Parts

1. 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    indefinite integral dx/((e^x)(sqrt(1-e(-2x))))
    using integration by parts evaluate the integral.

2. Relevant equations

integral u*dv = u*v- integral v*du

3. The attempt at a solution

To be completely and entirely honest i am not even sure where to start with this problem. I have finished other integration by parts homework questions in this assignment but this one i can't find something to choose for u and dv that will work out correctly.:grumpy: I have been at this problem alone from almost 2 hours. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Are you sure it wasn't

[tex] \sqrt {1-e^{-2x}} [/tex]

instead of [tex] \sqrt {1-e(-2x)} [/tex], since that is a very strange way of writing it.

If so, just remember that [tex] \frac {1}{e^{x}} = e^{-x} = \sqrt {e^{-2x}} [/tex] and set [tex] u = e^{-2x} [/tex]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  4. It was supposed to be
    1/ [tex] \sqrt {1-e^{-2x}} [/tex]

**How did you get that equation to show up that way? I just copy and pasted what you had to make it work this time and was curious how i would go about doing that.

5. There is a \frac command in LaTex. To use it just type \frac {numerator}{denominator}

So your problem would show up as:

[tex] \int {\frac{dx}{e^{x}\sqrt{1-e^{-2x}}}[/tex]

**Also check out this guide to LaTex typesetting
    https://www.physicsforums.com/misc/howtolatex.pdf

6. Thank You for your help. It is really appreciated.

7. HallsofIvy

HallsofIvy 40,960
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If nothing else there is a "^" key on your computer that can be used to indicate exponents.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?