1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using integration to determine the area under a curve

1. Apr 9, 2009 #1
    Hi, i am doing some course work where i have to determine the flow rate of an air jet at 10D from the nozzle.

Basically I have a graph of velocity against the vertical reading from a manometer and i need to determine volume flow rate by finding the area under this curve. Unfuortunetly i do not understand this technique i am led to believe the trapezoidal or simpsons rule can be used to do this.

The volume flow rate is Q=VA

and the integration used i believe is A=2 [tex]pi[/tex] [tex]\int[/tex] V rdr

I have looked in my books but this only leads to the confusion. The book suggests i split up all the parts into rectangles and then do the integration for each rectangle then sum them, however using the technique in the book i think all the results will be the same. I do not udnerstand the explanation of the trapezoidal rule and i am not sure how i would apply simpsons rule to this.

This may appear simple but it has me very confused.

Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted