Using Itos lemma to find an SDE

• Thread starter jend23
  • Start date
In summary, you correctly used Ito's lemma to find the SDE satisfied by U, given that U = ln(Y) and Y satisfies dY = (1/2Y)dt + dW. Your approach and answer are correct.
jend23

Homework Statement

Using Ito's lemma to find the SDE satisfied by ##U## given that ##U = ln(Y)## and ##Y## satisfies:
[tex]
dY = \frac{1}{2Y}dt + dW
[/tex]

[tex]
Y(0) = Y_0
[/tex]

Homework Equations

Ito's lemma.

The Attempt at a Solution

If ##U \equiv U(Y,t)## and ##dY = a(Y,t)dt + b(Y,t)dW##

Then ##dU = \left(\frac{\partial U}{\partial t} + a(Y,t)\frac{\partial U}{\partial Y} + \frac{1}{2}b(Y,t)^2\frac{\partial^2U}{\partial Y^2}\right)dt + b(Y,t)\frac{\partial U}{\partial Y}dW##

Here ##U = ln(Y)## and ##dY = \frac{1}{2Y}dt + dW##

##\frac{\partial U}{\partial t}=0##, ##\frac{\partial U}{\partial Y} = \frac{1}{Y}##, ##\frac{\partial^2 U}{\partial Y^2} = \frac{-1}{Y^2}##

Therefore:

[tex]
dU = \left(0 + \frac{1}{2Y^2} - \frac{1}{2Y^2} \right)dt + \frac{1}{Y}dW
[/tex]

[tex]
dU = \frac{1}{Y}dW
[/tex]

I *think* I've arrived at the right answer but given that I haven't done any kind of mathematics for nearly two decades, I wonder if somebody would be so kind as to critique my approach and let me know if the answer is right?

Any help, much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Your approach and answer look correct to me! You correctly applied Ito's lemma and found the SDE satisfied by U. Good job!

1. What is Itô's lemma?

Itô's lemma, also known as the Itô-Dôob-Meyer formula, is a mathematical tool used in stochastic calculus to find the derivative of a function of a stochastic process. It has many applications in finance, physics, and other fields.

2. How is Itô's lemma used to find an SDE?

Itô's lemma is used to find the stochastic differential equation (SDE) of a function of a stochastic process. It involves taking the partial derivatives of the function with respect to the stochastic process and using the chain rule to calculate the SDE.

3. What are the key assumptions when using Itô's lemma?

The key assumptions when using Itô's lemma are that the stochastic process is continuous, has continuous first and second derivatives, and follows a normal distribution. Additionally, the function being used must be twice differentiable and satisfy certain growth conditions.

4. Can Itô's lemma be applied to all types of stochastic processes?

No, Itô's lemma can only be applied to stochastic processes that are continuous and have continuous first and second derivatives. It also requires the process to follow a normal distribution. If these assumptions are not met, other techniques such as Stratonovich calculus may be used instead.

5. Are there any limitations to using Itô's lemma?

One limitation of Itô's lemma is that it can only be used to find the SDE of a function of a stochastic process. It cannot be used to find the SDE of a general stochastic process. Additionally, it requires strict assumptions to be met, which may not always hold in real-world applications.