Can Potassium Fluoride Be Used for Electrolysis?

• Thread starter redwraith94
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrolysis
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using potassium fluoride for electrolysis at a high temperature and the stability of fluoride ions in aqueous solutions. The toxicity of the compound is also mentioned, with a comparison to NaCN. It is concluded that KF must be soluted in pure HF in order to avoid violent reactions with fluoride anions.
redwraith94
Can I use potassium fluoride for electrolysis? Instead of KOH, or NaOH.

This cell will be operated @ near 90 C, so I want the graphite electrodes to last as long as possible. I just need to know if the fluoride ion can be oxidized in an aqueous solution...I know fluorine gas is usually generated with a molten fluoride salt, so I don't think it will happen in sol, but I'm not sure.

I DO understand the toxicity of the compound...

245 mg per kg LD 50 in a rat...compared to NaCN's 9 mg per kg

I just need to know if the fluoride ion is stable in sol, or not?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It must be soluted in pure HF. If KF is soluted in water then the fluoride anions will react with it violently.

Hodes said:
It must be soluted in pure HF. If KF is soluted in water then the fluoride anions will react with it violently.

Pure nonsense.

What is KF and how does it work for electrolysis?

KF, or potassium fluoride, is a chemical compound that is commonly used in electrolysis reactions. It works by dissociating into potassium ions and fluoride ions, which can then participate in the electrolysis process.

What makes KF a good choice for electrolysis?

KF is a good choice for electrolysis because it has a high solubility in water, allowing it to easily dissociate into ions. It also has a low melting point and is a good conductor of electricity, making it an efficient electrolyte for the process.

How is KF used in the electrolysis process?

KF is typically dissolved in water to create an electrolyte solution. This solution is then placed in a container with two electrodes, and an electric current is passed through the solution. The potassium ions and fluoride ions will move towards the oppositely charged electrodes, where they will undergo chemical reactions to produce the desired products.

What are the products of electrolysis using KF?

The products of electrolysis using KF will depend on the specific reactants used and the conditions of the electrolysis process. However, common products include hydrogen gas at the negative electrode and oxygen gas at the positive electrode.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using KF for electrolysis?

Some advantages of using KF for electrolysis include its high solubility, low melting point, and ability to conduct electricity. However, it can be corrosive and can produce hazardous by-products. Additionally, it may not be suitable for all types of electrolysis reactions.