Calculating EMF Using Kirchhoff's Rules

• Thread starter PirateFan308
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rules
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the emf ε in a circuit in order for the current through a 7.00 ohm resistor to be 1.75A. The equations Kirchhoff's Rule and the junction rule are used to solve the problem, and after checking for mistakes, it is determined that the correct value for ε is 16.59V.
PirateFan308

Homework Statement

What must the emf ε in the figure be in order for the current through the 7.00 ohm resistor to be 1.75A? Each emf source has negligible internal resistance.

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's Rule:
[itex]\sum I=0[/itex] junction rule

[itex]\sum V=0[/itex] loop rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I have drawn my current directions as shown in the attachment below.

By the junction rule, I know that [itex]I_2 = I_3+I_1[/itex] and it is given that [itex]I_2=1.75A[/itex].

I drew a loop clockwise around the entire thing and came up with the following equation:

[itex]24V-(7 ohm)(1.75A)-(I_1)(3 ohm) = 0[/itex]

so that I have

[itex]I_1 = (24V-12.25V)/3= 3.92A[/itex]

and then

[itex]I_3 = I_2 - I_1 = 2.17[/itex]

Drawing loop 2 clockwise within the right inner loop I have the following equation:

[itex]-(7 ohm)(I_2) - (I_3)(2 ohm) + ε = 0[/itex]

solving for ε, I get

[itex]ε = (12.25V)+(4.34V) = 16.59V[/itex]

Also, if I draw a clockwise loop inside the right inner loop, I have the following equation:

[itex]-ε + (I_3)(2 ohm) - (I_1)(3 ohm) + 24 V = 0[/itex]

which simplifies to

[itex]ε = 16.58V[/itex]

I can find no mistakes (and I have checked over my work a few times) but it is the wrong answer. Could anyone please help me? Thanks!

Attachments

• YF-26-62.jpg
    YF-26-62.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 1,892
Physics news on Phys.org
PirateFan308 said:

Homework Statement

What must the emf ε in the figure be in order for the current through the 7.00 ohm resistor to be 1.75A? Each emf source has negligible internal resistance.

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's Rule:
[itex]\sum I=0[/itex] junction rule

[itex]\sum V=0[/itex] loop rule

The Attempt at a Solution

I have drawn my current directions as shown in the attachment below.

By the junction rule, I know that [itex]I_2 = I_3+I_1[/itex] and it is given that [itex]I_2=1.75A[/itex].

I drew a loop clockwise around the entire thing and came up with the following equation:

[itex]24V-(7 ohm)(1.75A)-(I_1)(3 ohm) = 0[/itex]

so that I have

[itex]I_1 = (24V-12.25V)/3= 3.92A[/itex]

and then

[itex]I_3 = I_2 - I_1 = 2.17[/itex]
That should be [itex]I_3 = I_2 - I_1 = -2.17\text{A}[/itex]
Drawing loop 2 clockwise within the right inner loop I have the following equation:

[itex]-(7 ohm)(I_2) - (I_3)(2 ohm) + ε = 0[/itex]

solving for ε, I get

[itex]ε = (12.25V)+(4.34V) = 16.59V[/itex]

Also, if I draw a clockwise loop inside the right inner loop, I have the following equation:

[itex]-ε + (I_3)(2 ohm) - (I_1)(3 ohm) + 24 V = 0[/itex]

which simplifies to

[itex]ε = 16.58V[/itex]

I can find no mistakes (and I have checked over my work a few times) but it is the wrong answer. Could anyone please help me? Thanks!

Thank you soo much! I can't believe I missed that - I was freaking out thinking I had the completely wrong idea. Thanks!

1. What are Kirchhoff's Rules?

Kirchhoff's Rules, also known as Kirchhoff's Circuit Laws, are two fundamental principles in circuit analysis that are used to determine the voltage and current in a circuit. The first rule, Kirchhoff's Current Law, states that the sum of all currents entering and leaving a junction in a circuit must be equal to zero. The second rule, Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, states that the sum of all voltage drops in a closed loop must be equal to the sum of all voltage sources in that loop.

2. When should Kirchhoff's Rules be used?

Kirchhoff's Rules should be used when analyzing a circuit that contains multiple voltage and current sources, and when the circuit cannot be simplified using other methods such as series and parallel resistors. These rules can also be used for more complex circuits, such as circuits with multiple loops and junctions.

3. How do I apply Kirchhoff's Rules to a circuit?

To apply Kirchhoff's Rules, you must first draw the circuit diagram and label all voltage and current sources. Then, identify all the junctions and loops in the circuit. Next, write down Kirchhoff's Current Law equations for each junction, and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law equations for each loop. Finally, solve the resulting system of equations to find the unknown values.

4. What are the limitations of Kirchhoff's Rules?

Kirchhoff's Rules are based on the assumption that the circuit is in a steady state, meaning the voltage and current in the circuit do not change over time. They also assume that the circuit is linear, meaning all components in the circuit have a constant resistance or conductance. Additionally, these rules do not account for non-idealities such as resistance in connecting wires and non-ideal behavior of components.

5. Can Kirchhoff's Rules be used for AC circuits?

Yes, Kirchhoff's Rules can be used for AC circuits as long as the circuit is in a steady state. However, since AC circuits involve time-varying current and voltage, the equations used for Kirchhoff's Voltage Law will need to be modified to account for the frequency and phase of the AC source.