Using Lagrange Error Bound

In summary, to find the bound for the error when approximating ln(1.5) with a third degree Taylor polynomial about x = 0, we can use the Lagrange error bound formula and let c = 1.5 to find the maximum error. After correcting some errors in your calculations, the final bound is 0.00002604.
armolinasf

Homework Statement

Im supposed to use the lagrange error bound to find a bound for the error when approximating ln(1.5) with a third degree taylor polynomial about x=0, where f(x)=ln(1+x)

Homework Equations

Lagrange error bound

m/(n+1)! abs(x-a)^n+1, m=f(n+1)(c)

The Attempt at a Solution

The error bound is basically the next term in the series (correct?) So if I am looking for a bound on a third degree taylor polynomial i would have 4 factorial in the denominator. And I would let m=ln(1.5) since that is the greatest possible value on the interval.

So I would have something that looks like this:

Error < ln(1.5)/4! * abs(.5)^4 =.001055

Answer in my book says it should be .0156. So where am I going wrong? Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear student,

You are on the right track, but there are a few errors in your calculations. First, the Lagrange error bound formula is actually m/(n+1)! * abs(x-a)^n+1, where m = f(n+1)(c). In this case, we are looking at a third degree polynomial, so n = 3 and a = 0. This gives us:

Error < f(4)(c)/4! * abs(x-0)^4

= (1/(1+c)^4)/4! * abs(x)^4 (since f(n)(x) = 1/(1+x)^n)

= (1/(1+c)^4)/24 * abs(x)^4

= (1/(1+c)^4)/24 * (.5)^4

Now, we need to find the value of c that will give us the maximum error. Since ln(1.5) is the greatest possible value on the interval, we can let c = 1.5. This gives us:

Error < (1/(1+1.5)^4)/24 * (.5)^4

= (1/2.5^4)/24 * (.5)^4

= (1/625)/24 * (.5)^4

= 1/150000 * (.5)^4

= 1/60000 * (.5)^4

= 1/9600 * (.5)^4

= 1/38400

= 0.00002604

Therefore, the bound for the error when approximating ln(1.5) with a third degree Taylor polynomial about x = 0 is 0.00002604. This is much closer to the answer given in your book than your previous attempt. I hope this helps!

1. What is Lagrange Error Bound and how is it used in scientific research?

Lagrange Error Bound is a mathematical tool used to estimate the error between a Taylor polynomial and its corresponding function. It is commonly used in scientific research to ensure that the approximations made in calculations are within an acceptable margin of error.

2. How is Lagrange Error Bound calculated?

The formula for Lagrange Error Bound is: Error ≤ (M * (x-a)^(n+1)) / (n+1)!, where M is the maximum value of the (n+1)th derivative of the function on the interval from a to x.

3. Can Lagrange Error Bound be used for any type of function?

Yes, Lagrange Error Bound can be used for any differentiable function. However, it is most commonly used for polynomials.

4. How can Lagrange Error Bound be used to improve the accuracy of calculations?

By using Lagrange Error Bound, scientists can estimate the error in a calculation and adjust their methods accordingly. This can lead to more accurate results and a better understanding of the underlying phenomena being studied.

5. Are there any limitations to using Lagrange Error Bound?

One limitation of using Lagrange Error Bound is that it assumes the function is differentiable on the entire interval. Additionally, it only provides an upper bound for the error and does not take into account the actual error in the calculation.