Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Latex in Word (2007)

Tags:
  1. Apr 26, 2008 #1
    Hi,

I don't know if this is the right place for my question, but here goes...

I was wondering if it is possible to use Latex to type formules (just like on this forum) in Word 2007.

I am now using either MathType or the built in equation editor but I think they're too much of a hassle since you can't really type the formula, you have to use your mouse alot.
    Would be much faster if I could just type \phi instead of grabbing the mouse, looking for [tex]\phi[/tex] for 2 minutes and clicking it...

So is it possible, and if yes how can I use it?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2008 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I dont know if it is possible, but WHY do you want to use Latex forumulas in WORD when you can make better document using latex?

Latex was invented for that reason, to write articles with lots of math forumulas.

4. Apr 26, 2008 #3
    Because I like some of the functionalities of word. It's not like I'm only typing formulas, it's just the occasional formula. I would like to be able to type the formulas in latex and the rest just in plain old word...

5. Apr 26, 2008 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you want to use LaTeX in Word (and be able to easily edit it later), you probably have to upgrade to MathType http://www.dessci.com/en/products/mathtype/upgrades.htm .
    If you want to just generate the image of an equation, you can use an online tool (like http://www.sitmo.com/latex/ or http://hausheer.osola.com/latex2png or http://www.texify.com/ ). I use this method to use LaTeX-rendered equations in a Powerpoint slide. Of course, if you want to make a change, you have to go back and create a new image.

For longer documents, I just use LaTeX (MikTeX).

6. Apr 27, 2008 #5
    We are planning to add direct TeX input to Word and eventually PowerPoint in the next release of MathType, due in a few months. The idea is that you type TeX inside equation delimiters, perhaps $$, and then when you are done with the run of TeX, you hit some sort of Ctrl key command (or a menu command) to convert it to a MathType equation. The same hot key can be used to turn it back into TeX. All of this is a bit preliminary though.

Paul Topping
    Design Science, Inc.

7. Apr 27, 2008 #6

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That sounds great.
    Any chance you could do something with the Microsoft Equation Writer, which converts handwritten TabletPC ink into a graphic image of an equation? It seems that they were so close to creating an object (like a MathType-type equation) so that it can be edited later.

8. Apr 27, 2008 #7
    That does sound great! Hope to see that soon. Just hope my uni will get the latest version for us...

9. Apr 27, 2008 #8
    I don't know too much about Microsoft Equation Writer but recognition of hand-written equations is difficult. My guess is that it works for very simple cases but breaks down with equations of any complexity at all. Just like speech recognition, unless it works very, very well, it is too much trouble.

While recognition of hand-written equations may seem like a laudable goal, even if it worked I doubt whether it would be that great. In MathType, for example, one can insert a radical sign with Ctrl-R or a fraction with Ctrl-F. While one could argue that drawing a radical sign or a fraction requires less learning, I think learning Ctrl-R or F is pretty easy and is much, much faster. The argument gets even stronger when you look at MathType's ability to let you select a common sub-expression, drag it to the toolbar and then insert it later with just a click. Finally, when you hand-write a fraction or radical sign you must guess at how much space to leave for the stuff that must go into it. If you guess wrong, you have to erase or extend the original. In MathType, or any other structured editor, this problem does not occur. The radical or fraction just expands as you insert stuff into it. I suppose there may be some kind of hand-writing interface that could do all these things but my guess is that it is just not going to happen.

Paul Topping
    Design Science, Inc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?