How to Use Latex in Word (2007): A Faster Way to Type Formulas

In summary, Latex can be used to type equations in Word 2007, but you may have to upgrade to MathType to do so.
Nick89
Hi,

I don't know if this is the right place for my question, but here goes...

I was wondering if it is possible to use Latex to type formules (just like on this forum) in Word 2007.

I am now using either MathType or the built in equation editor but I think they're too much of a hassle since you can't really type the formula, you have to use your mouse alot.
Would be much faster if I could just type \phi instead of grabbing the mouse, looking for [tex]\phi[/tex] for 2 minutes and clicking it...

So is it possible, and if yes how can I use it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if it is possible, but WHY do you want to use Latex forumulas in WORD when you can make better document using latex?

Latex was invented for that reason, to write articles with lots of math forumulas.

Because I like some of the functionalities of word. It's not like I'm only typing formulas, it's just the occasional formula. I would like to be able to type the formulas in latex and the rest just in plain old word...

If you want to use LaTeX in Word (and be able to easily edit it later), you probably have to upgrade to MathType http://www.dessci.com/en/products/mathtype/upgrades.htm .
Define Equations using TeX/LaTeX: If you already know the TeX typesetting language, you can enter equations quickly using MathType's TeX input mode. TeX editing can be mixed with point-and-click editing so you get the best of both worlds. You can also copy equations from existing TeX documents.

If you want to just generate the image of an equation, you can use an online tool (like http://www.sitmo.com/latex/ or http://hausheer.osola.com/latex2png or http://www.texify.com/ ). I use this method to use LaTeX-rendered equations in a Powerpoint slide. Of course, if you want to make a change, you have to go back and create a new image.

For longer documents, I just use LaTeX (MikTeX).

Last edited by a moderator:
We are planning to add direct TeX input to Word and eventually PowerPoint in the next release of MathType, due in a few months. The idea is that you type TeX inside equation delimiters, perhaps $$, and then when you are done with the run of TeX, you hit some sort of Ctrl key command (or a menu command) to convert it to a MathType equation. The same hot key can be used to turn it back into TeX. All of this is a bit preliminary though.

Paul Topping
Design Science, Inc.

That sounds great.
Any chance you could do something with the http://www.google.com/search?q="Microsoft+Equation+Writer"", which converts handwritten TabletPC ink into a graphic image of an equation? It seems that they were so close to creating an object (like a MathType-type equation) so that it can be edited later.

Last edited by a moderator:
That does sound great! Hope to see that soon. Just hope my uni will get the latest version for us...

I don't know too much about Microsoft Equation Writer but recognition of hand-written equations is difficult. My guess is that it works for very simple cases but breaks down with equations of any complexity at all. Just like speech recognition, unless it works very, very well, it is too much trouble.

While recognition of hand-written equations may seem like a laudable goal, even if it worked I doubt whether it would be that great. In MathType, for example, one can insert a radical sign with Ctrl-R or a fraction with Ctrl-F. While one could argue that drawing a radical sign or a fraction requires less learning, I think learning Ctrl-R or F is pretty easy and is much, much faster. The argument gets even stronger when you look at MathType's ability to let you select a common sub-expression, drag it to the toolbar and then insert it later with just a click. Finally, when you hand-write a fraction or radical sign you must guess at how much space to leave for the stuff that must go into it. If you guess wrong, you have to erase or extend the original. In MathType, or any other structured editor, this problem does not occur. The radical or fraction just expands as you insert stuff into it. I suppose there may be some kind of hand-writing interface that could do all these things but my guess is that it is just not going to happen.

Paul Topping
Design Science, Inc.

1. How do I access the Latex feature in Word 2007?

To access the Latex feature in Word 2007, you need to first enable it in the program. Go to the "Office" button and click on "Word Options". Then, select "Add-ins" from the left menu and click on the "Go" button next to "Manage: COM Add-ins". Check the box next to "Microsoft Office Math" and click "Ok". The Latex feature should now be available in the "Insert" tab.

2. Can I use Latex to type equations and formulas in Word 2007?

Yes, with the Latex feature in Word 2007, you can easily type and insert equations and formulas in your document. Simply click on the "Insert" tab and select "Equation" from the "Symbols" group. You can then use Latex syntax to type your equation or use the built-in templates to create a variety of mathematical expressions.

3. How can I customize the appearance of my equations and formulas using Latex in Word 2007?

Word 2007's Latex feature allows you to customize the appearance of your equations and formulas by using different Latex styles. Simply select the equation or formula and click on the "Design" tab that appears in the "Equation Tools" section. You can then choose from a variety of styles and colors to customize the appearance of your equation.

4. Is it possible to edit equations and formulas created with Latex in Word 2007?

Yes, you can easily edit your equations and formulas created with Latex in Word 2007. Simply click on the equation or formula and make your desired changes. If you need to make more complex changes, you can also access the Latex code by right-clicking on the equation and selecting "Edit Field". This will open a window where you can edit the Latex code directly.

5. Can I use Latex in Word 2007 to insert equations and formulas into other types of documents?

Yes, you can use the Latex feature in Word 2007 to insert equations and formulas into other types of documents, such as PowerPoint presentations or Excel spreadsheets. Simply create the equation or formula in Word using Latex and then copy and paste it into your desired document. The equation will retain its appearance and formatting.