Using mathematics to escape the disconsolation of reality?

In summary: FILLERIn summary, the conversation discusses the idea of mathematics providing a sense of escape from the mundane and unpredictable nature of everyday life. It is compared to Plato's belief that studying mathematics and philosophy leads to a deeper understanding of the true forms of reality. The conversation also touches on the structure and excitement of mathematics, as well as the feeling of accomplishment when solving complex problems. Some individuals in the conversation find alcohol to be a more effective form of escape, while others find solace in studying mathematics and discussing its concepts.
Holocene
Has anyone found that doing mathematics actually results in a sort of soothing "disconnect" from the drudgery of everyday life?

I'm being serious. Something about the numbers, variables, mathematical symbols and theorems...they seem to represent a very unambiguous "reality", entirely free from the sometimes unpredictable and disconcerting events and thoughts that often arise from living life in general.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
"If I feel unhappy, I do mathematics to become happy. If I am happy, I do mathematics to keep happy." --Alfréd Rényi

The ancient greek philosopher Plato believed this abstract reality containing mathematics, logic, and philosophy was the true reality and that the "unpredictable and disconcerting events" of mundane life were shadows in a cave cast by puppets under the control of people like politicians, business men etc. The masses of people think that the shadows cast by the fire behind the behind the puppets are reality; the politicians think that their puppets are reality. According to Plato the only way to get out of this puppet/shadow life is to study mathematics and philosophy.

Only by starting with the eternally true and perfect forms of mathematics can we (according to Plato) eventually see the eternally true and perfect forms of truth, beauty, virtue, love, etc. The essence or true nature of these things that is present in all cases, just as theorems which express the essence of circularity are present in all cases of circles. In the puppet/shadow allegory this would be analogous to crawling out of the cave (jagged and sharp) and seeing the day lit world for the first time.

The highest level of self-actualization is to understand the reason that good things are good, to understand the essence or true nature of goodness, which corresponds in this allegory to staring at the sun itself.

I think you have been doing too much math. :)

But I agree with you. I think it's nice because of its structure.
There's almost* always a set structure to it. There's one right answer, not many.

Gallileo said:
There's one right answer, not many.

Thats not quite correct.

On topic: I definitely experience this exact same feeling, but I tend to become filled with woe the second I consider how much there still remains to be learnt/discovered and how little time I have to do it all in.

There really is a general feeling of excitement and wonder when you tie in disparate concepts through some common thread of which you only had glimpses of before. :smile:

Going over old ideas with new eyes is also a fun thing to do. You aren't as afraid as you were the first time seeing them and can examine them more closely now that you have tamed their beastly nature, I've recently experienced this with infinite series and differential equations.

Personally, I find alcohol works better!

Likes member 587159
HallsofIvy said:
Personally, I find alcohol works better!

I'll drink to that.

Eidos said:
Thats not quite correct.

On topic: I definitely experience this exact same feeling, but I tend to become filled with woe the second I consider how much there still remains to be learnt/discovered and how little time I have to do it all in.

There really is a general feeling of excitement and wonder when you tie in disparate concepts through some common thread of which you only had glimpses of before. :smile:

Going over old ideas with new eyes is also a fun thing to do. You aren't as afraid as you were the first time seeing them and can examine them more closely now that you have tamed their beastly nature, I've recently experienced this with infinite series and differential equations.

My Bad. I didn't know how else to put it - in words. It feels that way because i feel that in math, you can always have many different approaches to it, and when you reach the end - you still get the same answer. It's fun. What you then, need to do is find the path that will get you to the answer in the shortest way or easiest way. :P

Vid said:
I'll drink to that.

I'll toast while I am in a empty library studying weird math...

Holocene said:
Has anyone found that doing mathematics actually results in a sort of soothing "disconnect" from the drudgery of everyday life?

Sure, I use that all the time. It's quite effective.

Holocene said:

No. FILLER FILLER FILLER FILLER

1. How can mathematics help us escape the disconsolation of reality?

Mathematics can help us escape the disconsolation of reality by providing us with a structured and logical way of understanding the world around us. It allows us to explore abstract concepts and create models that can help us make sense of our experiences.

2. What specific mathematical concepts can be applied to escape the disconsolation of reality?

There are many mathematical concepts that can be applied to escape the disconsolation of reality, such as geometry, calculus, statistics, and probability. These concepts can help us analyze and solve problems, make predictions, and understand patterns in the world.

3. Can anyone use mathematics to escape the disconsolation of reality?

Yes, anyone can use mathematics to escape the disconsolation of reality. While some people may have a natural aptitude for math, with practice and determination, anyone can develop the skills needed to use mathematics to understand and navigate the world around them.

4. How does using mathematics to escape the disconsolation of reality benefit us?

Using mathematics to escape the disconsolation of reality can benefit us in several ways. It can help us make better decisions, solve problems more effectively, and understand complex concepts. It can also provide a sense of control and mastery over our environment, leading to a sense of fulfillment and satisfaction.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to relying on mathematics to escape the disconsolation of reality?

While mathematics can be a powerful tool for understanding and coping with reality, it is important to recognize its limitations. It is a human-created system that may not always accurately reflect the complexities of the world. Additionally, relying too heavily on mathematics can lead to a narrow and rigid way of thinking that may limit our perspectives and creativity.