1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using mechanical energy?

1. Oct 20, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Converting the energy of one food calorie into mechanical energy, starting from rest, to what speed could you accelerate a 133-lbs person?

2. Relevant equations
    1 calorie= 4.184J
    1 lbs= 0.453592kg
    K=1/2mv^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    here what I did, I converted the lbs to kg which was 60.33kg. I was under the impression to use kinetic energy.
    4.184J=1/2(60.33kg)v^2
    4.184J/30.165kg=v^2
    sqrt 4.184J/30.165kg= 0.372m/s

This is how I solved my problem, but I got 1 out of 10. Can someone explain to me what I did wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well, 1cal = 4.184J, but 1 "food calorie" = 1k.cal
    I don't see you dropping 9 points just for a botched conversion.

The model you used assumes that all the food energy goes to translation of the center of mass.
    There are other mechanical things - motion of arms and legs for eg, that the energy could go to.
    Were you supposed to account for the food energy lost to non-mechanical sources?

Check your notes for the mechanical energy of a human being JIC you were expected to do something different.
    i.e. Should you have used only a percentage of the food energy to speed?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_energy#Energy_usage_in_the_human_body

Do you have a model answer?

4. Oct 20, 2013 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You didn't do much wrong at all. Except that a "food calorie" is actually 1000 of the calories that you are using.

5. Oct 20, 2013 #4
    ok it seems that I made a mistake in my conversion with the calories. So with that 1000 calories do I convert that into joules? if so how would I do it?

6. Oct 20, 2013 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Multiply 4.184J by 1000 to get the number of Joules in a "food calorie". What else?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted