Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using MS stuff since I bought my PC

1. Sep 10, 2005 #1
    Hi,
    I've been using MS stuff since I bought my PC, Win 3.1->95->98->2000->XP. Recently I'm in a situation that requires me to use a Unix based OS. So I have to find the most simple one to get along with. These are the features that the OS must have:
    1. APACHE SERVER
    2. PHP 4.x ( 0<x<4)
    3. MysQl 4.1
    4. SAMBA (Our stations are all Billi enabled so we have to transfer files betweeen Win and Lin)
    Those four nice guys have been killing me since I entered Linux world.
    I installed Redhat Linux 7. It had Apache, Mysql 3... and PHP 3.3.
    When I upgraded Mysql 3 to Mysql 4.1. After that the apache didn't work anymore.
    Then I installed Redhat 9.0 but the same thing happend again.
    Last week I boughtFedoracore 4. It has ready to use mysql 4.1 .
    When I installed the four guys, Mysql and PHP 5 and Apache were working well. But Samba .... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
    From our win stations we can easily enter to the Fedoracore server, but all it offers is Read access. I mean we can't copy files to it. It even doesn't let us create a single folder in it :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
    I thought it is possible to solve it by configuring smb.conf. I was wrong :cry:
    I don't know what is happening in the core of the Fedora Core. Because I runned a FTP server on it. Even in a FTP connection it didn't let me to copy a file into it :cry: :cry: :cry:
    Are you thinking of a firewall? no, no. I didn't install any. Fedoracore asked me severly to install it. BUt I didn't. ( I belive sometimes a guard can be more dangerous than a thief. so I never use Firewalls or antivirueses. :biggrin: ) What's wrong?
    Ok, I think a better question could be this one:
    Do you know a good linux os with APACHE SERVER, PHP 4.x ( 0<x<4), MysQl 4.1 and Samba installed on it without that much trouble??

Last edited: Sep 10, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2005 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

4. Sep 10, 2005 #3
  5. Sep 10, 2005 #4
    Slackware is my recommendation, it wasn't hard at all to set up LAMP and Samba on 10.1. Slack 10.2 will be out soon and will have MySQL 4.1.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2005
  6. Sep 10, 2005 #5

hard for some one who knows what they are doing and hard for some one who uses windows are completely different.

slack would be great if it would get over the whole sets based install.

floppy disks are not used at all for installing systems anymore!!!

oh, and some simple hardware detection would be nice too.

7. Sep 11, 2005 #6

You know, we have a working linux server here with PHP, Apache, Mysql, and Samba working well on it. I copied it's smb.conf to the Fedora4 server and it has the same problems again. So I'm sure that the access problems are not coming out of smb.conf. Today I'm meeting somebody who knows penguins very well in order to solve the problems on our Fedora server. He's the last hope for me. If he can't work it around, I'm gonna go buy a Debian distribution.
    Thanks for all the links and suggestions.

8. Sep 11, 2005 #7
    I didn't use floppies to install Slack, I just downloaded their ISOs and used those.

9. Sep 11, 2005 #8
    Ok, let me give it a go another time, because I found something new in the Samba.
    When I share /tmp everything is ok. No "access is denied" message appears when I copy files into it.
    I made another directory and renamed it to "/omid" and made it's chmod "777". World wide accessible, just like /tmp. But when I share it, I can even enter it. Is there any other permission manager other than chmod? The chmod of bothe /tmp and /omid is 777, so why they behave differently?
    ** I also tested 1777, because /tmp is sticky. It didn't work either.

10. Sep 11, 2005 #9
    I said software sets. the install has been designed for floppy disks and they have never changed it. That is the problem.

11. Sep 12, 2005 #10
    Yesterday I went to my expert friend.
    He installed Fedora4, by my CD's. The differencs was the point that he didn't use graphical mode. He also compiled everything from Apache to php.
    Now I have a server with Fedora4 on it, but I don't know how to install it again by myself. So debian is the only way to go for me.
    Thanks a lot

12. Sep 19, 2005 #11
    Now, we have a LAMP server runnig properly. Finally I used Debian. I like it a lot :D I think it's far more better than Redhat for somebody who doesn't know how to complie programs in linux.
    Thank you very much

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?