Using MS stuff since I bought my PC

• Thread starter Omid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pc
In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of finding a simple Unix based OS with specific features like Apache server, PHP, MySQL, and Samba. The speaker has tried Redhat, Fedora Core 4, and Slackware, but faced difficulties with each one. They received suggestions to try Debian, which was ultimately successful in setting up a LAMP server. The conversation also highlights the importance of understanding how to compile programs in Linux.
Omid
Hi,
I've been using MS stuff since I bought my PC, Win 3.1->95->98->2000->XP. Recently I'm in a situation that requires me to use a Unix based OS. So I have to find the most simple one to get along with. These are the features that the OS must have:
1. APACHE SERVER
2. PHP 4.x ( 0<x<4)
3. MysQl 4.1
4. SAMBA (Our stations are all Billi enabled so we have to transfer files betweeen Win and Lin)
Those four nice guys have been killing me since I entered Linux world.
I installed Redhat Linux 7. It had Apache, Mysql 3... and PHP 3.3.
When I upgraded Mysql 3 to Mysql 4.1. After that the apache didn't work anymore.
Then I installed Redhat 9.0 but the same thing happened again.
Last week I boughtFedoracore 4. It has ready to use mysql 4.1 .
When I installed the four guys, Mysql and PHP 5 and Apache were working well. But Samba ... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
From our win stations we can easily enter to the Fedoracore server, but all it offers is Read access. I mean we can't copy files to it. It even doesn't let us create a single folder in it :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
I thought it is possible to solve it by configuring smb.conf. I was wrong :cry:
I don't know what is happening in the core of the Fedora Core. Because I runned a FTP server on it. Even in a FTP connection it didn't let me to copy a file into it :cry: :cry: :cry:
Are you thinking of a firewall? no, no. I didn't install any. Fedoracore asked me severly to install it. BUt I didn't. ( I believe sometimes a guard can be more dangerous than a thief. so I never use Firewalls or antivirueses. :biggrin: ) What's wrong?
Ok, I think a better question could be this one:
Do you know a good linux os with APACHE SERVER, PHP 4.x ( 0<x<4), MysQl 4.1 and Samba installed on it without that much trouble??

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Debian is a good choice. You shouldn't even need a GUI for this server.

Apache, php and mysql are a snap to install.

Here is a debian samba server howto:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/answers.php?action=viewarticle&artid=443

There is an option in smb.conf to enable writing:

[files]
writeable = yes

Debian, Slackware, Fedora Core 4. if you are building a server, I suggest Debian. much easier to administer.

get the debian net install image (80 MBs) and then read this:

http://www.falkotimme.com/howtos/perfect_setup_debian_sarge/index.php

Slackware is my recommendation, it wasn't hard at all to set up LAMP and Samba on 10.1. Slack 10.2 will be out soon and will have MySQL 4.1.

Last edited:
Nylex said:
Slackware is my recommendation, it wasn't hard at all to set up LAMP and Samba on 10.1. Slack 10.2 will be out soon and will have MySQL 4.1.

hard for some one who knows what they are doing and hard for some one who uses windows are completely different.

slack would be great if it would get over the whole sets based install.

floppy disks are not used at all for installing systems anymore!

oh, and some simple hardware detection would be nice too.

dduardo said:
[files]
writeable = yes

You know, we have a working linux server here with PHP, Apache, Mysql, and Samba working well on it. I copied it's smb.conf to the Fedora4 server and it has the same problems again. So I'm sure that the access problems are not coming out of smb.conf. Today I'm meeting somebody who knows penguins very well in order to solve the problems on our Fedora server. He's the last hope for me. If he can't work it around, I'm going to go buy a Debian distribution.
Thanks for all the links and suggestions.

ComputerGeek said:
slack would be great if it would get over the whole sets based install.

floppy disks are not used at all for installing systems anymore!

I didn't use floppies to install Slack, I just downloaded their ISOs and used those.

Ok, let me give it a go another time, because I found something new in the Samba.
When I share /tmp everything is ok. No "access is denied" message appears when I copy files into it.
I made another directory and renamed it to "/omid" and made it's chmod "777". World wide accessible, just like /tmp. But when I share it, I can even enter it. Is there any other permission manager other than chmod? The chmod of bothe /tmp and /omid is 777, so why they behave differently?
** I also tested 1777, because /tmp is sticky. It didn't work either.

Nylex said:
I didn't use floppies to install Slack, I just downloaded their ISOs and used those.

I said software sets. the install has been designed for floppy disks and they have never changed it. That is the problem.

Yesterday I went to my expert friend.
He installed Fedora4, by my CD's. The differencs was the point that he didn't use graphical mode. He also compiled everything from Apache to php.
Now I have a server with Fedora4 on it, but I don't know how to install it again by myself. So debian is the only way to go for me.
Thanks a lot

Now, we have a LAMP server runnig properly. Finally I used Debian. I like it a lot :D I think it's far more better than Redhat for somebody who doesn't know how to complie programs in linux.
Thank you very much

1. How do I update my MS software?

To update your MS software, you can go to the Microsoft Store or open the software and click on the "Help" or "Settings" tab. From there, you can check for updates and download them if they are available.

2. Can I transfer my MS programs to a new computer?

Yes, you can transfer your MS programs to a new computer. You will need to uninstall the programs from your old computer and then install them on your new computer using the original installation discs or by downloading them from the Microsoft Store.

3. How do I troubleshoot issues with MS programs?

If you are experiencing issues with your MS programs, you can try troubleshooting by checking for updates, restarting your computer, and running a virus scan. If the issue persists, you can contact Microsoft support for further assistance.

4. Can I use MS programs on a Mac?

Yes, you can use MS programs on a Mac. You will need to purchase and download the Mac version of the software from the Microsoft Store or use a virtual machine to run the Windows version on your Mac.

5. Is it necessary to have an MS account to use MS programs?

It is not necessary to have an MS account to use MS programs, but having an account can provide additional features and benefits such as cloud storage and access to Microsoft Office online.