Using multimeter, why do we hold its red lead to -ve and black lead to +ve terminal?

• Thread starter gikiian
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

What's the physics behind it?

Answers and Replies

256bits
Gold Member

Color coded so you know which is which.

Consistency, polarity convention.

This way, you can compare to voltages and know whether they are both the same polarity or not, e.g., they are 100V and 150V, or 100V and -150V.

I think it's the other way round. We usually connect the red cable to the positive terminal and the black to the negative.

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award

I think it's the other way round. We usually connect the red cable to the positive terminal and the black to the negative.
You beat me to it :) yes exactly. Im a bit suprised the first 2 responders didnt pick up on that one lol

Dave

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author

I agree. And the only reason I can think of is that you would prefer to have a positive number for the meter reading. But it really isn't necessary; if you reverse the leads you just get -1 times the reading you would have gotten.