1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using multimeter, why do we hold its red lead to -ve and black lead to +ve terminal?

1. Nov 14, 2011 #1
    What's the physics behind it?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2011 #2
    Re: Using multimeter, why do we hold its red lead to -ve and black lead to +ve termin

Color coded so you know which is which.

4. Nov 14, 2011 #3
    Re: Using multimeter, why do we hold its red lead to -ve and black lead to +ve termin

Consistency, polarity convention.

This way, you can compare to voltages and know whether they are both the same polarity or not, e.g., they are 100V and 150V, or 100V and -150V.

5. Nov 14, 2011 #4

I think it's the other way round. We usually connect the red cable to the positive terminal and the black to the negative.

6. Nov 14, 2011 #5

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You beat me to it :) yes exactly. Im a bit suprised the first 2 responders didnt pick up on that one lol

Dave

7. Nov 15, 2011 #6

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I agree. And the only reason I can think of is that you would prefer to have a positive number for the meter reading. But it really isn't necessary; if you reverse the leads you just get -1 times the reading you would have gotten.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook