Using Ohm's Law to Confirm the Relationship Between Loop Radius and Peak Voltage

• Thread starter lampshader
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, using Ohm's Law as a check, we can confirm that the ratio of the current in a loop of radius 20 cm compared to a loop of radius 40 cm is 0.5, which is the same as the ratio of their peak voltages. This supports the observation that increasing the loop radius also increases the peak voltage, as predicted by Ohm's Law.
lampshader

Homework Statement

Using Ohm’s Law as a check: V = IR, where V = emf in loop, what is the ratio of the current in the loop of radius 20 cm compared to the loop of radius 40 cm?

(It should be the same as the ratio of the emfs!) Treat the loop as a solid circle and remember the formula for the area of a circle is A = π r2. So if the radius is halved, what does this do to the area? Does this agree with the ratio of the two peak voltages that you calculated? Record your observations and explain.

Homework Equations

V = IR,

m = (y2-y1) / (x2-x1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I gathered all my data (which is the first part of the question):

Table 1:
Loop Radius (cm) Peak Voltage (V)
10 0.138
20 0.553
30 1.244
40 2.211
50 3.454

The data in table 1 is suggesting that as the radius increases, so will the peak voltage.

So my instructor wants me to check it using Ohm's Law, How exactly would I do that? Here is the question again:

Using Ohm’s Law as a check: V = IR, where V = emf in loop, what is the ratio of the current in the loop of radius 20 cm compared to the loop of radius 40 cm?

We have:
I = V / R = 0.553 / 20 = 0.27650;
And:
I = V / R = 2.211 / 40 = 0.55275;

My instructor is saying that it should be the same as the ratio of the emf's

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
. So my ratio would be: Ratio = 0.27650 / 0.55275 = 0.5. It does agree with the ratio of the two peak voltages that I calculated. The ratio of the peak voltages is 0.5, which is exactly the same as the ratio of the currents. This means that Ohm's Law is valid in this case, as it confirms that increasing the radius of the loop increases the peak voltage, which is exactly what I observed from the data in Table 1.

1. What is Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental law of electricity that relates the three basic electrical quantities: voltage, current, and resistance. It states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points, and inversely proportional to the resistance between them.

2. How do you use Ohm's Law to calculate voltage?

To calculate voltage using Ohm's Law, you need to know the current flowing through the conductor and the resistance of the conductor. You can then use the formula V = IR, where V is the voltage in volts, I is the current in amps, and R is the resistance in ohms.

3. Can Ohm's Law be used for all types of circuits?

Yes, Ohm's Law can be used for all types of circuits, as long as they are made up of resistive elements such as wires, resistors, and other electronic components. It may not be applicable for circuits with non-linear elements such as diodes and transistors.

4. How do changes in resistance affect current in a circuit according to Ohm's Law?

According to Ohm's Law, an increase in resistance will result in a decrease in current, while a decrease in resistance will result in an increase in current. This is because resistance and current are inversely proportional to each other.

5. Is Ohm's Law a theoretical or experimental law?

Ohm's Law is both a theoretical and an experimental law. It was originally discovered through experiments conducted by Georg Ohm in the 1820s, but it is now also explained and derived using theoretical concepts in electrical engineering and physics.