1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Using only arithmetic prove

1. Aug 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (!) Assuming only arithmetic (not the quadratic formula or calculus), prove that
    [tex]
    \left\{x \in\Re: x^2-2x-3 < 0\right\} = \left\{x \in\Re: -1 < x < 3\right\}
    [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

[tex]
    \left\{x \in\Re: x^2-2x-3 < 0\right\} = \left\{x \in\Re: -1 < x < 3\right\}
    [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Again, new and trying to learn how exactly to do this to proper mathematical standards.

I think this will just be a simple plug'n'play:

Test case, 0 and 2 since using boundaries results in 0 < 0:
    (0)^2-2(0)-3 < 0
    -3 < 0
    True

(2)^2-2(2)-3 < 0
    4-4-3 < 0
    -3 < 0
    True

Thoughts? This seemed too easy but when I manipulated with adding and subtracting/multiplying I started to lose focus from the core inequality ie:

x^2-2x-3 < 0
    x^2-2x < 3

-1 < x < 3
    0 < x+1 < 3+1
    0 < x^2+x < 4x

Et cetera...

Sincerely,

NastyAccident

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper

It is a good start to factorise the expression.

Hint: x^2-2x-3 =(x-1)^2-4.

ehild

4. Aug 27, 2010 #3
    note: the quadratic formula is achieved through algebra alone. ;)

5. Aug 27, 2010 #4
    Going your way:
    x^2-2x+1-4 < 0
    (x-1)^2-4<0
    (x-1)^2<4

-1<x<3
    0<x+1<4
    x+1<(x-1)^2
    x+1<x^2-2x+1
    0<x^2-3x
    0<x(x-3)
    x=0 or x=3?

Somewhere near that?

6. Aug 27, 2010 #5

ehild

Homework Helper

Was not that you wanted to arrive at?

It is not that what I meant by factorize, but it is correct up to here.

(x-1)^2-4 = (x-1)^2-2^2=((x-1)-2)((x-1)+2)=(x-3)(x+1)

You have to find the range of x where (x-3)(x+1)<0

The product of two numbers is negative if one of the factors is negative, the other is positive. As x+1>x-3, x-3<0 and x+1>0 that is equivalent to -1<x<3.

ehild

7. Aug 27, 2010 #6
    Okay, the way of factoring originally brought up confused me for a second since it appeared to be completing a square to a problem that could of already been factored.

After reading your original suggestion, I had the thought of breaking it down to (x-3)(x+1) >0. Though, after that I was unsure of where to go. And now, with the range comment I am a bit lost as to why you were able to move from (x-3)(x+1)>0 to x+1>x-3. Logically, it does hold since (0)+1>0-3 = 1>-3.

I guess, I'm just getting lost on the transition from (x-3)(x+1)>0 to x+1>x-3 to x-3<0 and x+1>0. In my mind, I see it as going with (x-3)>0 and (x+1) > 0 instead of the inequalities that you presented. If you could clarify that I would appreciate it.

Sincerely,

NastyAccident

8. Aug 27, 2010 #7

ehild

Homework Helper

x+1 is always bigger than x-3, isn't it?

I did not say that (x-3)(x+1)>0. You have to find the values of x which make (x-3)(x+1)<0 true, that is the product of (x+1) and (x-3) is negative. That happens if one of the factors is negative, the other positive. As x+1>x-3, if x+1<0, x-3 is also negative and their product is positive. So x-3 has to be negative and x+1 positive:

x-3<0 --->x<3

and x+1>1 --->x>1

ehild

9. Aug 27, 2010 #8
    First, I apologize for the (x-3)(x+1)>0 statement. It should have been (x-3)(x+1) < 0. I hit the wrong key.

I now see and understand why the split is occurring like that since you are trying to find terms that create a negative which would yield something that is less than zero.

Now, this proves that set A (x^2-2x-3 < 0) is included in Set B (-1<x<3). In order to ensure that both are equal sets, I now have to repeat this process so that set B is included in Set A.

So, would it be fair to do the following:

-1<x<3
    -1<x
    x<3
    0<x+1
    x-3<0
    (x+1)(x-3)<0
    x^2-2x-3<0

Hence,
    Set A = Set B

Sincerely,

NastyAccident

10. Aug 27, 2010 #9

ehild

Homework Helper

Well done!

ehild

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook