Analyzing Planck Data for No-Scale Supergravity Inflation

In summary, the person is trying to use the Planck 2015 results to constrain the parameters of a theoretical model. They are unfamiliar with how to read and analyze the data and need help understanding how to use the tools available.
I apologize in advance if this is not the correct place to post this.

I am currently writing a paper in no-scale supergravity inflation, and now that the Planck 2015 results are here, it would be nice to use them to constrain the parameters of the model. I am in particular interested in the scalar tilt and the tensor-to-scalar ratio. However, I have absolutely no idea on how to read and analyze the data from Planck. I have set as my most basic goal to reproduce the 68% and 95% CL TT+lowP+BKP+BAO curves of figure 54 in the "constraints on inflation" paper, 1502.02114, but I don't even know where to start.

I am aware of the existence of the Planck Legacy Archive, but I can't make sense of the 'explanatory supplement'. Any help will be appreciated.

Space news on Phys.org
Most external (to the experimental team) CMB analysis follows in this fashion:
1. Use a software product to generate the expected power spectrum from a set of cosmological parameters.
2. Use likelihood software to estimate the likelihood of a given a power spectrum. This software will include a reduced version of Planck data.
3. Use Markov Chain Monte Carlo to estimate the confidence contours through many executions of the above.

Right now, it looks like Planck has not yet released their likelihood software for their second release, but the first release is available here:
http://irsa.ipac.caltech.edu/data/Planck/release_1/software/

For CMB analysis, I've generally found NASA's LAMBDA site to have the most comprehensive set of tools. This link will be good for getting the power spectrum calculation software as well as the MCMC software to produce the confidence contours.
http://lambda.gsfc.nasa.gov/toolbox/

Thanks a lot. What you've written makes a lot of sense, although I have no clue on how to use those tools, but the LAMBDA site looks much more friendly that the Planck web page that I was looking at before. I'll give it a try.

When you refer to the 'second release software', do you mean that I won't be able to reproduce yet their 2015 results, or that I would need to manually feed their results into a different likelihood software?

It'd be a bad idea to try to analyze the data yourself. Quite a lot of complicated work goes into generating the likelihood functions.

But it will probably take enough time to figure out the other tools and things such that the second release will be available by the time you're ready to use it. In the mean time, learning how it all fits together using the WMAP data or the first release of Planck data is probably the thing to do. Note that eventually you'll have to use the polarization data as well in order to reproduce any of those plots, but you can make your job simpler by only working with temperature data while you're learning.

Oh... I think then that I will cross such analysis from being included in our paper, since my coauthors want it done asap. In any case, it is definitely worth checking the first release, even if it is only as a personal challenge.

302021895 said:
Oh... I think then that I will cross such analysis from being included in our paper, since my coauthors want it done asap. In any case, it is definitely worth checking the first release, even if it is only as a personal challenge.
It's definitely non-trivial if you haven't done it before. It isn't horribly complicated, but especially since you have to learn three different sets of software, it can be a bit daunting. It would be made easier if you have a good understanding of how to analyze MCMC chains.

1. What is No-Scale Supergravity Inflation?

No-Scale Supergravity Inflation is a theoretical framework that describes the early universe and how it expanded rapidly during the first moments after the Big Bang. It combines elements of both supergravity and inflationary cosmology to provide a comprehensive explanation of the universe's inflationary period.

2. What is the significance of analyzing Planck data for No-Scale Supergravity Inflation?

The Planck satellite mission collected data on the cosmic microwave background, which is the remnant radiation from the Big Bang. Analyzing this data can help us understand the properties of the early universe and test theories like No-Scale Supergravity Inflation that aim to explain its expansion.

3. How do scientists analyze Planck data for No-Scale Supergravity Inflation?

Scientists use mathematical models and computer simulations to analyze the Planck data and test their theories. They compare the predictions of No-Scale Supergravity Inflation to the observed data and look for any discrepancies or evidence that supports the theory.

4. What are some potential implications of the results from analyzing Planck data for No-Scale Supergravity Inflation?

The results from analyzing Planck data could have significant implications for our understanding of the early universe and the fundamental laws of physics. They could also provide evidence for or against the validity of the No-Scale Supergravity Inflation theory and potentially lead to new insights or modifications to the theory.

5. What challenges do scientists face when analyzing Planck data for No-Scale Supergravity Inflation?

One major challenge is that the Planck data is very complex and requires sophisticated mathematical and statistical techniques to analyze. Additionally, there may be other factors or phenomena that could affect the data and need to be taken into account when interpreting the results. It also takes a significant amount of time and resources to properly analyze and interpret the data.