1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using pV^gamma = c

1. Feb 13, 2015 #1
    One mole of an ideal monatomic gas, initially at 1 atm pressure, is surrounded by adiabatic walls in a container of volume 0.01 m3 . The gas is compressed until the volume is 1/8 of the original volume. Calculate the final pressure and temperature.

^^ I'm having problems following this question. Its only a short answer, but i'm confused none the less!

A: pV^5/3 = constant.
    pf = pi(Vi/Vf )^5/3 = 1(8)^5/3 = 25 = 32 atm.
    Tf = pfVf /nR = 32 × (0.01/8)101325/8.314 = 487.5 K

I understand the last line in normal ideal gas equation, but the first two lines, which reference the equation: pV^5/3 = constant has thrown me, i don't know how the second line follows (where does pf=pi*(vi/vf)^5/3 come from? i see its similar to the constant equation

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2015 #2

Quantum Defect

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For adiabatic processes (no heat exchanged withthe surroundings) in ideal gases, P*V^gamma = constant. Gamma is the ratio of the heat capacities at constant pressure and constant volume. For an ideal monatomic gas, C_v = 3/2 * R, and C_p = 5/2* R, so gamma = (5/2 * R) / (3/2 * R) = 5/3.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adiabatic_process

4. Feb 13, 2015 #3
    Yeah, thanks

The part i still don't understand is how the equation pf = pi*(vi/vf)^5/3 follow?

5. Feb 13, 2015 #4

Quantum Defect

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Pf * Vf^gamma = constant = Pi * Vi^gamma
    Pf = Pi * (Vi/Vf)^gamma

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook