1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using software to solve eigenvalues of Hamiltonian

1. Sep 12, 2010 #1
    This is my first time posting in this forum, or any, so I'm sorry if something is out of place.

I'm doing undergrad research with a professor on quantum supercomputing and I need to use some software to find the eigenvalues of the energy using the Hamiltonian. He suggested I used maplesoft or this applet but I don't understand how these programs work.
    http://fermi.la.asu.edu/schmidt/applets/seqn/plugschroedinger.html

My knowledge in this area doesn't extend very far. I've taken modern physics where I learned in general about quantum mechanics but not in depth. They mentioned that the Hamiltonian operator exists but never used it, I also saw it in classical mechanics. That's also where I learned about eigenfunctions while studying angular momentum. We solved it by taking the determinant but that only works for a discrete case and the Hamiltonian is continuous. I wouldn't know how to find the eigenvalues for a simple potential such as V=x or even V=5 let alone for this complicated one. I'm taking full quantum mechanics this term but that class only starts on 9/13.

The potential is roughly (x-y)^2/7.44 - cos(x), where x is the variable and y is the external flux. It comes from this article
    http://www.physics.ucsb.edu/~martinisgroup/papers/Kofman2007.pdf
    From what I understand, I have to find the value of the flux that will create a potential such that the left well will have 3 energy states and I need to find out exactly what those states are. It's not possible analytically so I have to use some kind of program for it. I'm still trying to figure it out using Maple and the applet. I can get a graph of the potential but I don't understand how the rest of the applet works.

Can someone please tell me how I can use Maple, or any other software for this. Or can you at least guide me in the right direction?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted