1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Stoke's Theorem to determine plane area enclosed by simple closed plane curve

1. Nov 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let C be a simple closed plane curve in space. Let n = ai+bj+ck be a unit vector normal to the plane of C and let the direction on C match that of n. Prove that

(1/2)∫[(bz-cy)dx+(cx-az)dy+(ay-bx)dz]

equals the plane area enclosed by C.

What does the integral reduce to when C is in the xy-plane?

2. Relevant equations

Stoke's Theorem

F.ds=∫(∇×F).dS

3. The attempt at a solution

I really have no idea where to start. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Using Stoke's Theorem to determine plane area enclosed by simple closed plane cur

Why don't you start by calculating ##\nabla \times \vec F## and plug it in the right side of Stokes' Theorem?

4. Nov 30, 2012 #3
    Re: Using Stoke's Theorem to determine plane area enclosed by simple closed plane cur

I don't know what F is

5. Nov 30, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are given a line integral, written in the form ##\oint \vec F\cdot d\vec R##. Can't you pick ##\vec F## out of that?

6. Nov 30, 2012 #5

I think I might have been reading the question incorrectly (well hopefully). I feel like an idiot. I'll give it a go and hopefully it works out. Thanks LCKurtz

7. Nov 30, 2012 #6

Got it out

Thanks again for your help LCKurtz

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook