1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Stoke's theorem

1. Dec 13, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    i cant find the normal vector here . In my book , outwards vector is . (Refer to photo 1 )
    The question is in photo 2 , i am aksed to use stoke's theorem to evalutae line integral of vector filed
    But , now the problem is i cant express z in terms of y and x . Can anyone help ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    For now , i have Δx F = (-z+ 1) j only

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2016 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

For your first case, I don't see a boundary line to the surface. For the second case, the surface is a cylinder, and I think they might be asking you to compute ## \int \vec{F} \cdot \, dS ##. If that is the case, you could also use Gauss law and compute ## \int \nabla \cdot \vec{F} \, d^3x ##, but certainly not Stokes theorem. (the Gauss's law version would also include in its result the integration over the endfaces of the cylinder). ## \\ ## Additional item: For vector curl use " \nabla \times " in Latex. To get Latex, put " ## " on both sides of your statement or expression. (The vector gradient is " \nabla" in Latex. The divergence is " \nabla \cdot ".)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  4. Dec 13, 2016 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is preventing you from typing in a complete statement of the problem? There is no question in the photo telling us what line integral (if it really is a line integral) you want.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted