1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using Stroke's Theorem

1. Jun 1, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Use Stokes' Theorem to evaluate [itex]\int\int curl \vec{F}\bullet d\vec{S} [/itex] where [itex]\vec{F}(x,y,z) = <e^{z^{2}},4z-y,8xsin(y)> [/itex] and S is the portion of the paraboloid
    [itex]z = 4-x^{2}-y^{2}[/itex] above the xy plane.

2. Relevant equations
    Stokes Thm:[itex]\int\int curl \vec{F}\bullet d\vec{S} = \int \vec{F}\bullet d\vec{r}[/itex]

[itex]\vec{F}(x,y,z) = <e^{z^{2}},4z-y,8xsin(y)> [/itex]

S: [itex]z = 4-x^{2}-y^{2}[/itex] above the z = 0.

3. The attempt at a solution
    C: [itex]\vec{r}(t) = <2cos(t), 2sin(t), 0>[/itex] where [itex] 0\leq t\leq2\pi [/itex]
    [itex]\vec{r}'(t) = <-2sin(t), 2cos(t), 0> [/itex]

[itex]\vec{F}(\vec{r}(t)) = <e^{0}, (4(0) - 2sin(t), 8(2(cos(t))sin(2cos(t))>[/itex]
    [itex]\vec{F}(\vec{r}(t)) = <1, -2sin(t), 16cos(t)sin(2cos(t))>[/itex]

[itex]\int <1, -2sin(t), 16cos(t)sin(2cos(t))> \bullet <-2sin(t), 2cos(t), 0> dt [/itex] from 0 to 2pi
    [itex]=\int -2sin(t)-2sin(t)2cos(t) dt [/itex] from 0 to 2pi
    [itex]=0 [/itex]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Some latex pointers. If you will put a backslash in front of any function in tex it prints in a much nicer font. Also you can use \cdot instead of \bullet and \nabla\times for curl. I have done that in my quote so you can see the difference. Also you can put the limits on the integral as I illustrate in one line above.

A problem like this should give some orientation for the surface, although with an answer of zero it doesn't matter much. Your work looks correct unless I have overlooked something.

4. Jun 1, 2014 #3
    Thank you, I will remember those hints and tips for next time!

And thanks for looking at my work, I think it is correct too; I just can't afford to miss any points on any problem, its dead week and I need all the points I can get.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted