Evaluating the Curl Using Stokes' Theorem

• Thread starter Sai-
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the problem asks for an evaluation of curl for a region above the xy plane where z = 4-x^{2}-y^{2}. The problem provides the equation for the curl and the limits on the integral. The problem also provides the equation for the derivative of the curl at the given point. The problem asks for an evaluation of curl for a region above the xy plane where z = 4-x^{2}-y^{2}. The problem provides the equation for the curl and the limits on the integral. The problem also provides the equation for the derivative of the curl at the given point.
Sai-

Homework Statement

Use Stokes' Theorem to evaluate [itex]\int\int curl \vec{F}\bullet d\vec{S} [/itex] where [itex]\vec{F}(x,y,z) = <e^{z^{2}},4z-y,8xsin(y)> [/itex] and S is the portion of the paraboloid
[itex]z = 4-x^{2}-y^{2}[/itex] above the xy plane.

Homework Equations

Stokes Thm:[itex]\int\int curl \vec{F}\bullet d\vec{S} = \int \vec{F}\bullet d\vec{r}[/itex]

[itex]\vec{F}(x,y,z) = <e^{z^{2}},4z-y,8xsin(y)> [/itex]

S: [itex]z = 4-x^{2}-y^{2}[/itex] above the z = 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

C: [itex]\vec{r}(t) = <2cos(t), 2sin(t), 0>[/itex] where [itex] 0\leq t\leq2\pi [/itex]
[itex]\vec{r}'(t) = <-2sin(t), 2cos(t), 0> [/itex]

[itex]\vec{F}(\vec{r}(t)) = <e^{0}, (4(0) - 2sin(t), 8(2(cos(t))sin(2cos(t))>[/itex]
[itex]\vec{F}(\vec{r}(t)) = <1, -2sin(t), 16cos(t)sin(2cos(t))>[/itex]

[itex]\int <1, -2sin(t), 16cos(t)sin(2cos(t))> \bullet <-2sin(t), 2cos(t), 0> dt [/itex] from 0 to 2pi
[itex]=\int -2sin(t)-2sin(t)2cos(t) dt [/itex] from 0 to 2pi
[itex]=0 [/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sai- said:

Homework Statement

Use Stokes' Theorem to evaluate [itex]\int\int \nabla \times \vec{F}\cdot d\vec{S} [/itex] where [itex]\vec{F}(x,y,z) = <e^{z^{2}},4z-y,8x\sin(y)> [/itex] and S is the portion of the paraboloid
[itex]z = 4-x^{2}-y^{2}[/itex] above the xy plane.

Homework Equations

Stokes Thm:[itex]\int\int \nabla \times \vec{F}\cdot d\vec{S} = \int \vec{F}\cdot d\vec{r}[/itex]

[itex]\vec{F}(x,y,z) = <e^{z^{2}},4z-y,8x\sin(y)> [/itex]

S: [itex]z = 4-x^{2}-y^{2}[/itex] above the z = 0.

The Attempt at a Solution

C: [itex]\vec{r}(t) = <2\cos(t), 2\sin(t), 0>[/itex] where [itex] 0\leq t\leq2\pi [/itex]
[itex]\vec{r}'(t) = <-2\sin(t), 2\cos(t), 0> [/itex]

[itex]\vec{F}(\vec{r}(t)) = <e^{0}, (4(0) - 2\sin(t), 8(2(\cos(t))\sin(2\cos(t))>[/itex]
[itex]\vec{F}(\vec{r}(t)) = <1, -2\sin(t), 16\cos(t)\sin(2\cos(t))>[/itex]

[itex]\int <1, -2\sin(t), 16\cos(t)\sin(2\cos(t))> \cdot <-2\sin(t), 2\cos(t), 0> dt [/itex] from 0 to 2pi
[itex]=\int_0^{2\pi} -2\sin(t)-2\sin(t)2\cos(t) dt [/itex] [STRIKE]from 0 to 2pi[/STRIKE]
[itex]=0 [/itex]

Some latex pointers. If you will put a backslash in front of any function in tex it prints in a much nicer font. Also you can use \cdot instead of \bullet and \nabla\times for curl. I have done that in my quote so you can see the difference. Also you can put the limits on the integral as I illustrate in one line above.

A problem like this should give some orientation for the surface, although with an answer of zero it doesn't matter much. Your work looks correct unless I have overlooked something.

Likes 1 person
LCKurtz said:
Some latex pointers. If you will put a backslash in front of any function in tex it prints in a much nicer font. Also you can use \cdot instead of \bullet and \nabla\times for curl. I have done that in my quote so you can see the difference. Also you can put the limits on the integral as I illustrate in one line above.

A problem like this should give some orientation for the surface, although with an answer of zero it doesn't matter much. Your work looks correct unless I have overlooked something.

Thank you, I will remember those hints and tips for next time!

And thanks for looking at my work, I think it is correct too; I just can't afford to miss any points on any problem, its dead week and I need all the points I can get.

What is Stoke's Theorem?

Stoke's Theorem is a mathematical theorem that relates the surface integral of a vector field over a surface to the line integral of the same vector field around the boundary curve of that surface.

What is the purpose of using Stoke's Theorem?

The purpose of using Stoke's Theorem is to simplify the calculation of surface integrals by converting them into line integrals, which are generally easier to evaluate.

What is the difference between Stoke's Theorem and Green's Theorem?

Stoke's Theorem is a generalization of Green's Theorem, which only applies to two-dimensional surfaces. Stoke's Theorem applies to both two-dimensional and three-dimensional surfaces.

What are the prerequisites for using Stoke's Theorem?

In order to use Stoke's Theorem, one must have a good understanding of vector calculus, including line integrals, surface integrals, and vector fields. Additionally, knowledge of parametric equations and vector functions is also important.

What are some real-world applications of Stoke's Theorem?

Stoke's Theorem has many applications in physics and engineering, particularly in the fields of fluid dynamics and electromagnetism. It is also used in computer graphics for calculating the flow of fluids and in geology for modeling the movement of tectonic plates.