Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using summation with probability question

1. Mar 30, 2005 #1
    Help With Probability Question

i have been working on this for a week can anyone help?

NOTE: Look at reply from moodoo for proper matematical symbols!!

I need the probability of being dealt a bridge hand with at least 5 hearts.

I have to possible answers but I have never done this before and dont know the proper way to type them but here goes...

1.)
    summation sign with 13 on the top and k=5 on bottom x (C 13,k)(C 13,13-K)/C 52,13

2)same summation as above x C 13,k (.25)to the power of k(.75)to the power of 13-k/C 52,13

HELP WITH PROBABILITY QUESTION :confused: :confused: :confused:

Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2005 #2
    Yikes, that's some messy notation you got there...
    Let me clean that up for you...

1. [tex]\sum_{k=5}^{13}{\frac{\left(\begin{array}{cc}13\\k\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{cc}13\\13-k\end{array}\right)}{\left(\begin{array}{cc}52\\13\end{array}\right)}}[/tex]

2. [tex]\sum_{k=5}^{13}{\frac{\left(\begin{array}{cc}13\\k\end{array}\right)*.25^{k}*.75^{13-k}}{\left(\begin{array}{cc}52\\13\end{array}\right)}}[/tex]

Although I am a bit shaky on where your delimeters are. Tell me if any of the above aren't what you had in mind.

EDIT: Maybe that's more like it?

4. Mar 30, 2005 #3
    summation

Yes, that is exactly what I meant. You are amazing. But is this the right answer for my question? Are both of these binomial formulas and is it ok to use a binomial formula with cards?

Thanks so much for your time>

5. Mar 30, 2005 #4

xanthym

Science Advisor

Both your solutions are INcorrect.

First, Binomial probabilities can only be used for INDEPENDENT events for which the probability of occurrence (or non-occurrence) of any event does NOT influence that for any other. Unfortunately, for a card deck, when you draw any one card you automatically change the probability of drawing the next (since you do not replace the drawn card). Thus, your solution #2 does not apply. (Binomial probabilities could be used, however, to determine the probability of at least 5 Tails when tossing 52 Fair Coins since each Coin is independent of the others.)

Your solution #1 is closer, but is still not proper. You are correct that there are [tex] \mathbb{C}_{13}^{52} [/tex] total ways of drawing 13 (combinations of) cards from the deck's 52. You must now determine how many of those contain at least 5 Hearts.

Let's start with exactly 5 Hearts. There are [tex] \mathbb{C}_{5}^{13} [/tex] ways of drawing those 5 from the deck's 13 Hearts. Further, there are [tex] \mathbb{C}_{8}^{39} [/tex] ways of drawing the 8 additional cards required for the hand from the remaining 39 deck cards (which are not hearts). Thus:

{Number Combinations of 5 Hearts in 13 Cards from 52 Card Deck} = [tex] \mathbb{C}_{(5)}^{(13)} \cdot \mathbb{C}_{(8)}^{(39)}[/tex]

Similar reasoning can be applied to {5, 6, 7, ... , 12, 13 Hearts}, so the total number of combinations containing AT LEAST 5 Hearts is given by:

[tex] (1) \ \ \ \ \ \sum_{n=5}^{13} \mathbb{C}_{(n)}^{(13)} \cdot \mathbb{C}_{(13 - n)}^{(39)} [/tex]

And the required probability is:

[tex] (2) \ \ \ \ \ \color{red} Prob(At \ Least \ 5 \ Hearts) \ = \ \frac { \sum_{n=5}^{13} \mathbb{C}_{(n)}^{(13)} \cdot \mathbb{C}_{(13 - n)}^{(39)} } { \mathbb{C}_{(13)}^{(52)} } [/tex]

~~

6. Mar 31, 2005 #5
    XANTHYM, Thanks so much for your help. When I saw your answer I checked my original message, the 13 in my jumbled formula was an error. I know that the cards have to add up to 52.

Thanks again, spikemurphy

p.s. is there an easy way to use latex, do I need a special program.

7. Mar 31, 2005 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?