Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using TeX editor

1. Aug 24, 2005 #1
    Hey all, I want to download a program so I can type an add mathematical formulas, extract them as images and use them in a presentation. I download MiKTeX but am EXTREMELY confused with all these pakages etc, I don't even know how to open the program so I can start typing. I found some math commands in a guide on the internet, but I still don't know if I need to download pakages or how to launch some sort of editing program. If someone could point me at a good, easy to use program for this it would be greatly appreciated. I don't mind using the programming style commands as long as I have a good guide.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2005 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

you do not open the miktex program. right, you need any sort of text editor to edit a latex file - it's just plain text. some people will probably tell you to use winedit but i prefer emacs on windows. to latex a domcument from within emacs then you use the menus this produces a dvi file with "the pictures" in it. latex can also create slides directly.
  4. Aug 25, 2005 #3
    You can also use MS-Word. Go to insert, object, Microsoft Equation 3.0, and an equation toolbar will appear.

Also, you can update this toolbar by goint to:

And that supports LaTeX.
  5. Aug 25, 2005 #4

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

eugh, never ever typest maths in MS word. it is just plain evil.
  6. Aug 25, 2005 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you want an integrated environment, I would suggest downloading "TeXnicCenter".

But in any case, if you want to be able to see what you're typing as you're typing (rather than having to, at the very least, hit a button to see if what you've typed generates what you want), you're going to have to pay money, and probably a good bit.

It will also take a bit of effort to learn LaTeX, but it's worth it!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?