Determining a Trigonometric Solution with Collocation

In summary, collocation in trigonometry is the process of finding the exact values of trigonometric functions for a given angle using a table of values or calculator. It is used by identifying the angle and function, finding the closest value, and using it to determine the exact solution. One advantage of collocation is its ability to find exact values without a calculator, but it may not be precise for very small or large angles and requires a table or calculator. To improve accuracy, use a high precision table, round the solution, and verify with a calculator.
roldy

Homework Statement

Determine a three-parameter solution, with trigonometric functions using collocation at x=1/4,1/2, and 3/4.

Given: [tex]u=\phi_0 + c_1\phi_1 + c_2\phi_2 + c_3\phi_3[/tex]

[tex]\phi_0=0, \phi_1=sin\pi x, \phi_2=sin2\pi x, \phi_3=sin3\pi x[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]R=-\frac{d^2u}{dx^2}-cos(\pi x)=\Sigma_{i=1}^n c_i(i\pi)^2sin(i\pi x)-cos(\pi x)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So what I basically do here is substitute the three different values for x into
[tex]R=\Sigma_{i=1}^n c_i(i\pi)^2sin(i\pi x)-cos(\pi x)[/tex]
for i=1,2,3

[tex]0=R(x=1/4)=\Sigma_{i=1}^n c_i(i\pi)^2sin(\frac{i\pi}{4})-cos(\frac{\pi}{4})[/tex]
[tex]0=c_1(\pi)^2sin\frac{\pi}{4}+c_2(2\pi)^2sin\frac{ \pi}{2}+c_3(3\pi)^2sin\frac{3\pi}{4}-cos\frac{\pi}{4}[/tex]
[tex]0=c_1\pi^2 \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} + c_2(2\pi)^2 + c_3(3\pi)^2\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}-\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}[/tex]

[tex]0=R(x=1/2)=\Sigma_{i=1}^n c_i(i\pi)^2sin(\frac{i\pi}{2})-cos(\frac{\pi}{2})[/tex]
[tex]0=c_1(\pi)^2sin\frac{\pi}{2}+c_2(2\pi)^2sin \pi+c_3(3\pi)^2sin\frac{3\pi}{2}-cos\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]
[tex]0=c_1\pi^2 + c_2(0) + c_3(3\pi)^2-(0)[/tex]

[tex]0=R(x=3/4)=\Sigma_{i=1}^n c_i(i\pi)^2sin(\frac{3i\pi}{4})-cos(\frac{3\pi}{4})[/tex]
[tex]0=c_1(\pi)^2sin\frac{3\pi}{4}+c_2(2\pi)^2sin\frac{3\pi}{2}+c_3(3\pi)^2sin\frac{9\pi}{4}-cos(\frac{3\pi}{4})[/tex]
[tex]0=c_1\pi^2 \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2} - c_2(2\pi)^2 + c_3(3\pi)^2\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}+\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}[/tex]

Putting the coefficients into a 3X3 matrix and solving for the constants,

[tex]c_1=0, c_2=\frac{\sqrt{2}\pi^2}{8}, c_3=0[/tex]

so finally

[tex]u=\frac{\sqrt{2}\pi^2}{8}sin(2\pi x)[/tex]

I checked with the answers in the book and these are correct. What I need to do now is compare this against the solution of
[tex]u_0=\pi^{-2}(cos\pi x +2x -1)[/tex]

I let x=1/4 and solved each of the equations

u(collocation)=1.74472
u(exact)=0.020984

Is this correct? Does this just mean that the collocation method does not produce a good enough approximation?

Physics news on Phys.org

Your solution looks correct. The discrepancy between the collocation method and the exact solution could be due to the fact that the collocation method only uses a finite number of points (in this case, three) to approximate the solution, while the exact solution takes into account all points on the interval. This means that the collocation method may not be able to capture all the details of the exact solution. However, in general, the collocation method is still a valid and useful approach for solving differential equations.

1. What is collocation in trigonometry?

Collocation in trigonometry refers to the process of finding the exact values of the trigonometric functions for a given angle. This is done by using a table of values or a calculator to determine the solutions.

2. How is collocation used to determine a trigonometric solution?

To determine a trigonometric solution using collocation, we first need to identify the angle in question and the trigonometric function we are trying to find the value for. Then, we use a table of values or a calculator to find the closest value to the given angle, and use that value to determine the exact solution.

3. What are the advantages of using collocation to determine a trigonometric solution?

One advantage of using collocation is that it allows for the exact values of trigonometric functions to be found without the use of a calculator. This can be useful in situations where a calculator is not readily available or when working with non-standard angles.

4. Are there any limitations to using collocation for trigonometric solutions?

Yes, there are limitations to using collocation for trigonometric solutions. One limitation is that it requires a table of values or a calculator, which may not always be available. Additionally, collocation may not provide precise solutions for very small or very large angles.

5. How can I improve my accuracy when using collocation for trigonometric solutions?

To improve accuracy when using collocation, it is important to use a table of values with a high degree of precision and to round off the final solution to the appropriate number of decimal places. It is also helpful to double check the solution using a calculator or other method of verification.