1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using the definition of a concave function prove that it is concave (don't use dx/dy)

1. Apr 22, 2012 #1
    Let D=[-2,2] and $$f:D\rightarrow R$$ be $$f(x)=4-x^2$$ Sketch this function.Using the definition of a concave function prove that it is concave (do not use derivative).

Attempt:
    $$f(x)=4-x^2$$ is a down-facing parabola with origin at (0,4). I know that.

Then, how do I prove that f(x) is concave using the definition of a concave function? I got the inequality which should hold for f(x) to be concave:

For two distinct non-negative values of x u and v

$$f(u)=4-u^2$$ and $$f(v)=4-v^2$$

Condition for a concave function:

$$ \lambda(4-u^2)+(1-\lambda)(4-v^2)\leq4-[(\lambda u+(1-\lambda)v]^2$$

After expanding the inequality above I get:

$$(\lambda u-\lambda v)^2\leq(\sqrt{\lambda} u-\sqrt{\lambda} v)^2$$

I do not know what to do next.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Using the definition of a concave function prove that it is concave (don't use dx

You have to show that the above is true, not assume it's true.

Isn't it also required that 0 ≤ λ ≤ 1 ?

4. Apr 22, 2012 #3
    Re: Using the definition of a concave function prove that it is concave (don't use dx

Yeah it is required that 0 ≤ λ ≤ 1.

But, how do I prove that the below inequality is true?:

$$λ(4−u)^2+(1−λ)(4−v)^2≤4−[(λu+(1−λ)v]^2$$

5. Apr 22, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Without Loss of Generality, let u ≥ v .

What else do you know about u & v ?

6. Apr 22, 2012 #5

That they are non-negative. I was working on this problem for a long time and I managed to turn the inequality:

$$ \lambda(4-u^2)+(1-\lambda)(4-v^2)\leq4-[(\lambda u+(1-\lambda)v]^2$$

into

$$\lambda (u-v)^2(1-\lambda)\leq0$$

Since 0<λ<1 the above inequality is true and the function f(x) is concave. I think it is correct.

7. Apr 22, 2012 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why do you say u & v are non-negative?

8. Apr 23, 2012 #7

Oh no they are not. My mistake. I was looking at another problem I am doing right now. It does not really matter whether they are negative or not for this inequality since the power of 2 makes their difference positive. But yeah they can be negative since they are distinct values of x and the the domain of x is [-2,2].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook