1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using the Frobenius

1. Aug 1, 2009 #1
    Am I missing something in the Frobenius method??

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use the method of Frobenius to find solutions near x= 0 of each of the differential equations.

3. The attempt at a solution

x^2 y'' + (2x^2 + 3x)y' + (x-(5/4))y = 0

My work is as follows:

http://imgur.com/3XvP4.jpg

I don't know where I went wrong, or what I'm doing wrong. My r's are correct of 1/2 and -5/2.

I use r =1/2 first, and when I evaluate for n = 1 I get...

..x^1/2 [c_o - c_o/2 x + c_o/5 x^2 + 2c_o /5 + ...]

the answer in the back of the book has the last line in that pic. I know that I haven't finished solving for the other r, but the portion that is circles with the arrow, does not match what I have so far. I noticed they have their sigma starting at n=0. I tried evaluating them for the n's but my answer differ. :(

please help.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Am I missing something in the Frobenius method??

There's your problem. Remember, the r=-5/2 series will also have terms of order x1/2, x3/2, etc. When you add the terms of these orders from both your r=1/2 and r=-5/2 series together, you should get the right answer.

4. Aug 4, 2009 #3
    I'll go ahead and do that, will post back.

Thanks gabba.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook