1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using the isspace function

1. May 19, 2010 #1
    I am trying to remove excess white space using the isspace function. For example, I am reading text from a txt file that says:

I am super sleepy.

------------------------------
    but I want it to say:

I am super sleepy.

------------------------------

I was thinking I could use the isspace(c), where c is each character being read and try to make a statement that somehow erases all but one space. Any suggestions??

2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Added [ code] tags make your spaces show up.
    What I would do is read the original sentence into one character array, and then copy characters to another character array. In the copy operation, when I encountered the first space after a word, I would copy that space, but would ignore any subsequent spaces and not copy them. When I hit the first non-space character I would copy it and the subsequent characters up to the first space after the word, and so on, as before.

4. May 20, 2010 #3
    Hmm.. I tried using this segment of code in my program

Code (Text):
                while (isspace(c))
                {
                    if(!inf.get(c))
                        return false;
                }
    it does delete extra white space, but in the process it also deletes the first character of every word preceded by a white space...

For example, if the input text file read:

Why is this program so difficult?

The output text file prints:

Why s his rogram o ifficult?

I don't know what to do to modify my code to fix this problem.....any help would be appreciated!

5. May 20, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook