Using the time shift operator

In summary: This is also valid in the case of a Hamiltonian matrix. In summary, the conversation discusses finding the time dependence of a qubit's density matrix when given a specific Hamiltonian and deriving differential equations for the coefficients of the matrix. The suggested method involves using the time shift operator and the exponential of the Hamiltonian matrix.
whatisreality

Homework Statement

In a computational basis, a qubit has density matrix
##
\rho = \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
\frac{1}{2} & \frac{1}{3} \\
\frac{1}{3} & \frac{1}{2} \\
\end{array} \right)##
At t=0. Find the time dependence of ##\rho## when the Hamiltonian is given by ##AI+BY##, ##A## and ##B## are constants, ##Y## is the Pauli matrix
##
\left( \begin{array}{ccc}
0 & -i \\
i & 0 \\
\end{array} \right)##
Then the hint says to write the matrix in the form ##\rho = \frac{1}{2} (I+a(t)X+b(t)Y+c(t)Z)## where
## X=
0 & 1 \\
1 & 0 \\
\end{array} \right)##,
##Z=
1 & 0 \\
0 & -1 \\
\end{array} \right)##
and derive differential equations for the coefficients.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I should be using the time shift operator ##U(t,t_0) = e^{-\frac{i}{\hbar}H(t-t_0)}##, and calculating ##\rho(t) = U\rho(t_0) U^{\dagger}##, except I'm not exactly sure what the exponential of my particular Hamiltonian would mean. But if I write the density matrix in the form suggested by the hint then I don't know what to do with it from there to get a differential equation. Is it something to do with the Schrodinger equation? Should I sub it into that and treat it like a state ##\psi##?

Thank you for any help, I really appreciate it, I'm a bit lost!

Physics news on Phys.org
The exponential of the Hamiltonian (in this given in matrix form) is defined by its Taylor expansion. That is,
##exp(A)=\sum_{k=0}^\infty A^k/k!## for a matrix ##A##

1. What is the time shift operator?

The time shift operator is a mathematical tool used in signal processing and mathematics to shift the time axis of a signal or function. It is denoted by the symbol τ and is used to represent the amount of time by which the signal is shifted.

2. How is the time shift operator used in signal processing?

In signal processing, the time shift operator is used to analyze and manipulate signals in the time domain. It is commonly used to study the effect of time delays on signals, determine the causality of a system, and analyze the phase relationship between two signals.

3. What are the properties of the time shift operator?

The time shift operator has several key properties, including linearity, time invariance, and causality. Linearity means that the operator can be applied to a sum of signals or functions. Time invariance means that the operator behaves the same regardless of the starting time of the signal. Causality means that the output of the operator only depends on the current and past values of the input signal, not future values.

4. How is the time shift operator used in mathematics?

In mathematics, the time shift operator is used to study and manipulate functions in the time domain. It is commonly used in differential equations, Fourier transforms, and Laplace transforms. It can also be used to solve problems involving time series data, such as forecasting and trend analysis.

5. What are some real-world applications of the time shift operator?

The time shift operator has many practical applications in fields such as telecommunications, audio and video processing, and finance. It is used to correct for time delays in communication systems, synchronize audio and video signals, and analyze trends in financial data. It is also used in fields such as medicine and engineering to study and model systems with time-dependent behavior.