How Can I Solve This Integral Using u-Substitution?

• Thread starter nick.martinez
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Substitution
In summary, the person is trying to find the perferct square for the equation ∫1/(10p-p^2)dp but is having trouble isolating dp. They try completing the square and get k \cdot \int \frac{1}{1 + u^2} \, du where u = (p + a) / b. If they use a partial fraction decomposition, they find that \frac{1}{p(10 - p)} = \frac{A}{p} + \frac{B}{10 - p}
nick.martinez
∫1/(10p-p^2)dp

i tried using the u of substitution but for some reason I am unable to isolate dp and get an equation in terms of du which i could then plug into the integral and take the antiderivative.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since there is a p2 in the denominator, the first thing that comes to mind is
[tex]\int \frac{1}{1 + p^2} \, dp = \arctan(p)[/tex]

So I would try completing the square, i.e. write it as
[tex]k \cdot \int \frac{1}{1 + u^2} \, du[/tex]
where u = (p + a) / b.

CompuChip said:

where u = (p + a) / b.

not quite sure where you got u=(p+a)/b

CompuChip said:

where u = (p + a) / b.

do you mean i should factor out a 10 from denominator which would give me:

(1/10)∫1/(p-(p^2)/10)dp

No, start by writing 10p - p2 as (p - a)2 + b.

By the way, I was assuming that you know the arctan integral. If not, you could try splitting fractions, i.e. writing
[tex]\frac{10p - p^2} = \frac{A}{10p} - \frac{B}{p^2}[/tex]

I would like get this into a Ln function instead of using arctan

CompuChip said:
By the way, I was assuming that you know the arctan integral. If not, you could try splitting fractions, i.e. writing

are you using a partial fraction decomp in this case. if so that would be my preferred choice at getting to a solution.

CompuChip said:
No, start by writing 10p - p2 as (p - a)2 + b.

when i find the perfect square how do i find what the perferct square would be. I don't even know where to start. i punched the problem into wolfram and it completed the square of denom by turning

1/(10p-p^2) which i guess is equal to 1/(25-(x-5)^2), how do i do this?

OK in that case first try with the partial fraction decomposition, once you have arrived at the solution I will show you the method I was thinking of initially for completeness.

CompuChip said:

I'm sure you mean
$$ \frac{1}{p(10 - p)} = \frac{A}{p} + \frac{B}{10 - p}$$

1. What is the u-substitution method?

The u-substitution method is a technique used in calculus to simplify integrals that involve a composition of two functions. It involves substituting a new variable, u, for a more complex expression in order to make the integration process easier.

2. When should I use u-substitution?

U-substitution is often used when the integrand (the expression inside the integral) is a composition of two functions. It can also be used when the integrand contains a product of functions or a trigonometric expression.

3. How do I choose the correct u for substitution?

The key to choosing the correct u for substitution is to look for a part of the integrand that resembles the derivative of another part. In other words, look for a u that, when differentiated, will cancel out a portion of the original integrand. Practice and experience are also important in making this decision.

4. Can u-substitution always be used to solve integrals?

No, u-substitution is not always the best method for solving integrals. It is most effective when the integrand is a composition of functions, but there are other techniques, such as integration by parts or trigonometric substitution, that may be more suitable for certain integrals.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using u-substitution?

One common mistake to avoid is forgetting to replace all instances of the old variable with the new variable, u. It is also important to remember to include the derivative of u, du, in the integral. Another mistake is choosing the wrong u for substitution, which can lead to a more complicated integral or an incorrect solution.