Using Thevenin's theorem on a High pass filter with a DC Offset

In summary, the circuit shown has an input of a 1kHz square wave with an amplitude of 2V and resistor values of R1 = R2 = 10 kΩ and C = 0.02 μF. The questions ask for the effective time constant of the circuit and the minimum and maximum voltage reached at the output, V-out. The hint suggests using Thevenin's theorem to simplify the circuit, but the confusion lies in determining the input and output terminals with three or four terminals present. Alternative methods such as Laplace transforms may be used to solve the questions.
xahdoom

Homework Statement

A 1kHz square wave with an amplitude of 2V (peak to peak) is applied at the input V-in of the circuit shown. The resistor R1 = R2 = 10 kΩ, and C = 0.02 μF.

L8jkF.png

a) What is the effective time constant of this circuit?
b) What is the minimum and maximum voltage reached at the output, V-out?

Hint: If V1, R1 and R2 are replaced by their Thevenin equivalent circuit, then this is just a high pass filter with an offset on the output.

Homework Equations

V = IR, Kirchoff's Laws, Thevenin's theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

My confusion lies with the Hint. Thevenin's theorem requires that the circuit (or network, etc.) has two terminals, an input and an output. From this we can simplify the circuit to a series circuit with a voltage source, V-thevenin, and a resistance R-thevenin. However, here there seems to be three or four terminals (i.e. at where V-in comes in, at V1, at V-out and at the ground) so I have absolutely no clue as to how to decompose this into it's Thevenin equivalent.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone help me with this? Also, if I'm not supposed to decompose the circuit into it's Thevenin equivalent, then how should I solve parts a) and b)? Would it be easier to solve this using Laplace transforms?Thanks in advance for your help.

What is Thevenin's theorem and how does it apply to a high pass filter with DC offset?

Thevenin's theorem states that any linear electrical network can be replaced by an equivalent circuit consisting of a voltage source in series with a resistor. In the case of a high pass filter with DC offset, Thevenin's theorem allows us to simplify the circuit and calculate the output voltage without having to consider the entire network.

How do you determine the Thevenin equivalent voltage and resistance for a high pass filter with DC offset?

To determine the Thevenin equivalent voltage, we need to find the open-circuit voltage at the output of the circuit. This can be done by removing the load resistor and calculating the voltage across its terminals. To find the Thevenin equivalent resistance, we need to find the equivalent resistance in the circuit when all independent power sources are turned off. This can be done by shorting all voltage sources and opening all current sources.

Can Thevenin's theorem be used on any type of circuit with DC offset?

Yes, Thevenin's theorem can be applied to any linear electrical network with DC offset. This includes high pass filters, low pass filters, and any other type of circuit that can be represented as a combination of voltage and current sources and resistors.

What are the limitations of using Thevenin's theorem on a high pass filter with DC offset?

Thevenin's theorem assumes that the circuit is linear and that the load resistor is purely resistive. If the circuit contains non-linear elements or the load resistor has reactive components, the Thevenin equivalent circuit may not accurately represent the behavior of the original circuit. Additionally, Thevenin's theorem is only applicable in the steady-state, so it may not accurately predict the behavior of the circuit during transients.

How can Thevenin's theorem be used to simplify the analysis of a high pass filter with DC offset?

By using Thevenin's theorem, we can reduce the complexity of the circuit and calculate the output voltage without having to consider the entire network. This makes it easier to analyze and design the circuit, as well as troubleshoot any problems that may arise. It also allows us to quickly determine the effects of changing the input voltage or load resistance on the output voltage.