1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculators Using TI-89 Plus or computer-based packages to get the moment of inertia

1. Nov 11, 2005 #1
    can anyone suggest ways on how to calculate the moment of inertia using:
    1) graphics calculator [TI-89 plus] and/or
    2) any computer-based packages
    for a cylinder, cone and sphere?
    I believe that a program can be created in my graphics but i dont seem know how to create such a complicated one. if anyone can suggest steps, even if simple, please do so.
    thanks

Last edited: Nov 11, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2005 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since they are regular and symmetrical objects, you coud just integrate and obtain the formula and put the formula in the computer program.
    [tex] \int r^2 dm [/tex]

4. Nov 12, 2005 #3
    First, what does "you could just integreate and obtain the formula" mean? do i intergrate the volume of it or what?

second, is it possible to calculate the moment of inertia using Ti-89 or any computer program from scracth without me integrating it and putting the formula in the computer program? Is there a way where i can just simply type in (eg. r or h)?

5. Nov 12, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So basically you are asking "How do I get the formulas without knowing anything at all about moment of inertia"- and the answer is: use "google".

The formulas are given about halfway down this page:
    http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/MomentofInertia.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?