Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calculators Using TI-89 Plus or computer-based packages to get the moment of inertia

1. Nov 11, 2005 #1
    can anyone suggest ways on how to calculate the moment of inertia using:
    1) graphics calculator [TI-89 plus] and/or
    2) any computer-based packages
    for a cylinder, cone and sphere?
    I believe that a program can be created in my graphics but i dont seem know how to create such a complicated one. if anyone can suggest steps, even if simple, please do so.
    thanks

Last edited: Nov 11, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2005 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since they are regular and symmetrical objects, you coud just integrate and obtain the formula and put the formula in the computer program.
    [tex] \int r^2 dm [/tex]

4. Nov 12, 2005 #3
    First, what does "you could just integreate and obtain the formula" mean? do i intergrate the volume of it or what?

second, is it possible to calculate the moment of inertia using Ti-89 or any computer program from scracth without me integrating it and putting the formula in the computer program? Is there a way where i can just simply type in (eg. r or h)?

5. Nov 12, 2005 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

So basically you are asking "How do I get the formulas without knowing anything at all about moment of inertia"- and the answer is: use "google".

The formulas are given about halfway down this page:
    http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/MomentofInertia.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?