1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Using triple integrals

1. Apr 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use a triple integral to find the volume of the region. Below x+2y+2z=4, above z=2x, in the first octant.

2. Relevant equations

V=∫∫∫dV=∫∫∫dxdydz

3. The attempt at a solution

I have no clue where to begin as to finding those darn limits to integrate with. I'm sure I can evaluate the integral just fine, but I need help finding limits.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2012 #2
    Well, after plotting those two equations into my mac grapher app, it seems my y-limits could be from 0 to 2. But I'm unsure as to finding my x and z limits.

4. Apr 1, 2012 #3
    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

5. Apr 1, 2012 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Patience, please.

(Look at the rules for posting on this Forum, especially as regards "bumping" your thread.)

6. Apr 1, 2012 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Where do the planes, x+2y+2z=4, and, z=2x, intersect?

Where does each of those planes intersect the coordinate axes?

7. Apr 1, 2012 #6
    Well, z=2x goes through the entire the y-axis, but doesn't intersect any other axes. x+2y+2z=4 intersects axes at x=4, y=2, and z=2.

The two planes intersect at 2y+5x=4.

But what's your point? What do I get out of this?

8. Apr 1, 2012 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I should have asked, "Where does each of those planes intersect the coordinate planes?"

The intersection of the two planes is a line. The equation, 2y+5x=4, specifies a plane !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook