Using verify Faraday's law

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the Lorentz transformation matrix and the electromagnetic tensor for verifying Faraday's law. The electromagnetic field tensor is used to represent Maxwell's laws and can be manipulated through mathematical operations. The subscripts for the field tensor are arbitrary and the equation can be verified by substituting specific values for the indices.
blueyellow

Homework Statement

Use the form of the Lorentz transformation matrix R, and the elcectromagnetic tensor F, and using:

[itex]\frac{\partial F_{\mu\nu}}{\partial x_{\lambda}}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{\partial F_{\nu\lambda}}{\partial x_{\mu}}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{\partial F_{\lambda\mu}}{\partial x_{\nu}}[/itex]=0

verify Faraday's law

curl E=-[itex]\frac{\partial\ B}{\partial t}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to find out what the terms in the equation actually are. I found out that [itex]F_{\mu\nu}[/itex] is the Faraday tensor, but what are [itex]F_{\nu\lambda}[/itex], etc? My notes and textbooks really never explains this. I did spend quite a while trying to work out for myself what those terms mean, but I really have no clue.

Please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

As you seem to know, the tensor indicated by [itex]F_{\mu \nu}[/itex] is the electromagnetic field tensor. It contains (as it is usually represented) the three Cartesian components of both the electric and magnetic fields. In classical electrodynamics, it is typically used in an elegant way of representing Maxwell's laws. Those laws can be determined by doing mathematical operations on the field tensor, and that is the goal of this problem: you are supposed to "derive" Faraday's law from the field tensor. At any rate, the idea here is that the subscripts to "F" are the indices for the tensor. But the key idea is that the letters you use to represent those indices are totally arbitrary. [itex]F_{\mu \nu}[/itex], [itex]F_{\nu \lambda}[/itex], and [itex]F_{\lambda \mu}[/itex] ALL represent the same tensor. What is really meant by this equation is that if you choose a particular value for all three indices present, and substitute in the various derivatives and field tensor entries, you will get a true mathematical statement. Try it. Pick, say, [itex]\mu = 1[/itex], [itex]\nu = 2[/itex], and [itex]\lambda = 3[/itex]; insert the values for the electromagnetic field tensor and the appropriate derivatives, and see if you get a true mathematical statement.

Last edited:

1. What is Faraday's law?

Faraday's law states that the induced electromotive force (EMF) in a closed circuit is directly proportional to the rate of change of magnetic flux through the circuit.

2. How do you verify Faraday's law experimentally?

Faraday's law can be verified experimentally by using a coil of wire, a magnet, and a galvanometer. By moving the magnet through the coil, a changing magnetic flux is created, which induces an EMF in the coil. This can be measured using the galvanometer.

3. What is the significance of Faraday's law?

Faraday's law is a fundamental principle in electromagnetism and is used to explain the generation of electricity in power plants, electric motors, and generators. It also helps to understand the operation of transformers and other electrical devices.

4. How is Faraday's law related to Lenz's law?

Lenz's law is a consequence of Faraday's law and states that the direction of an induced EMF in a closed circuit will be such that it opposes the change that caused it. In other words, it follows the principle of conservation of energy.

5. Can Faraday's law be applied to non-closed circuits?

Yes, Faraday's law can be applied to non-closed circuits as long as the change in magnetic flux through the circuit is still present. This is known as the non-closed circuit version of Faraday's law.