Using Wien's radiation law to derive the Stephan-Boltzmann law and Wien's distributio

1. 1. The problem statement:

Using Wien's law ρ(λ,T)=f(λ,T)/λ^5, show the following:

(a) The total emissive power is given by R = aT4 (the Stefan-Boltzmann law),
    where a is a constant.
    (b) The wavelength λmax at which ρ(λ,T) - or R(λ,T) - has its maximum is such that λ*T = b (Wien's displacement law), where b is a constant.

2. Relevant equations:

Wien's radiation law:
    ρ(λ,T)=f(λ,T)/λ^5
    ρ(λ,T)=c1/(λ^5*exp{c2/λT})

3. The attempt at a solution:

So I tried integrating Wien's equation from zero to infinity
    ρ(total)dλ=c/4∫ρ(λ,T)dλ=c/4∫[f(λ,T)/λ^5]dλ. But I got nowhere.

Then I used the full expression of wien's law and tried the integration again
    ρ(total)dλ=c/4∫[c1/(λ^5*exp{c2/λT})]dλ
    I still didn't know what to do. So please help.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. vela

vela 12,632
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Re: Using Wien's radiation law to derive the Stephan-Boltzmann law and Wien's distrib

Without an explicit form for f(λ,T), you can't integrate this, as you probably realized.

This approach should work. How did you try to integrate this? I'd try a substitution like u=1/λ and see where it goes.

4. Re: Using Wien's radiation law to derive the Stephan-Boltzmann law and Wien's distrib

I substituted x=c2/λT for the sake of the exponential term.
    dx=[-c2/λ^2T]dλ. The integral has become w=(c1*c*T^4)/4c2^4∫[x^3/e^x]dx (Please note that for c1 and c2, the 1 and 2 are subscripts of c. The independent c is the speed of light)

How is this equation looking?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  5. vela

vela 12,632
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Re: Using Wien's radiation law to derive the Stephan-Boltzmann law and Wien's distrib

Do you recognize that integral? Think gamma function. In any case, it's a definite integral, so it's just some number.

6. Re: Using Wien's radiation law to derive the Stephan-Boltzmann law and Wien's distrib

I'll compute the integral and then leave the final expression for my instructor. Thanks a million for your help.

7. TSny

TSny 5,921
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Wien's law is actually ρ(λ,T)=f(λT)/λ5 where f is an undetermined function of the product of λ and T. Using this, see if you can get the integral to yield a constant times T4.

8. Re: Using Wien's radiation law to derive the Stephan-Boltzmann law and Wien's distrib

@TSny, I was wondering if you might be able to give me a small hint in regards to how to proceed with this problem only using the ρ(λ,T)=f(λT)/λ5 form of Wien's law. I tried integration by parts but that just led to a more convoluted expression. I see that you underlined the phrase "product of λ and T" but I'm still not sure how to handle the f(λT) term in the integral.

9. dextercioby

dextercioby 12,314
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That calls for a substitution (change of variable) which would throw out of the integral exactly T to the power of 4.

10. Re: Using Wien's radiation law to derive the Stephan-Boltzmann law and Wien's distrib

Thank you dextercioby, my mistake was in assuming that I need to find the unknown function f(λT). I was able to figure out the answer based on your hint.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?