US News Rankings: How Much Do They Matter for Graduate Programs?

In summary: Good luck!In summary, when choosing a graduate program, the weight given to its US News ranking should depend on personal preference. While some people may value these rankings highly, others may not consider them as important. Other factors such as the quality of professors and research being done should also be taken into consideration. Ultimately, it is important to choose a program that aligns with your interests and goals.
PhDorBust
When choosing a graduate program, how much weight should be given to its US News ranking?

I've been accepted to two schools which fall within the top 10 for general math, but for my particular subarea in math, one of them ranks about 15 spots ahead of the other. Do people actually care about these rankings? Is there any better indicator of goodness? Phds.org gives some data points but their accuracy is not too great.

Physics news on Phys.org
How much weight? As much as you choose - how important is it to you to say "I graduated from a school that is Nth on the USNews Rankings"?

PhDorBust said:
When choosing a graduate program, how much weight should be given to its US News ranking?

In physics schools in the United States. None at all.

I've been accepted to two schools which fall within the top 10 for general math, but for my particular subarea in math, one of them ranks about 15 spots ahead of the other. Do people actually care about these rankings?

For MBA's people care a lot. For physics schools in Mainland China, people also care a lot about rankings. For physics Ph.D.'s in the US, no one cares about general school rankings. In fact, people care a lot less about your school than your adviser.

Is there any better indicator of goodness? Phds.org gives some data points but their accuracy is not too great.

Go to the web site, look at the list of professors, track down the papers that they wrote, and you should be able to make your own judgments about goodness. Also for the smaller departments, you will influence the quality of the department more than the department influences you.

When it comes to general rankings, these rankings should be used primarily for grouping schools into groups. That is a school in the top 10 is obviously different than a school in the 20-30 range, but withing these subgroups the differences may not matter as much. The best advice I can give is to ask people in your department (and subfield) about the quality of the schools and look up the professors who work there. If the papers being published and the research being done looks like its your kind of thing, then go for that school. Remember, you are going to a Ph.D program to study a topic of your choosing for 5-7 years with an adviser who's work should hopefully line up with your interests as closely as possible.

Now in terms of subareas, I personally don't trust the rankings as much. I don't know, I don't feel the method used by US news world and report is the best one for figuring at what school has the best topology or PDEs group because those things can get very subjective. Congrats on being accepted to such great schools, but now comes the harder part about deciding for yourself which one is better for you.

I understand the importance of data and metrics in decision making. However, when it comes to choosing a graduate program, I believe that US News rankings should not be the sole factor in your decision-making process. While these rankings can provide a general overview of a program's reputation and resources, they should not be the determining factor in your decision.

There are several reasons why US News rankings should not be given too much weight when choosing a graduate program. Firstly, these rankings are based on a limited set of criteria and may not accurately reflect the quality of a program in your specific subarea of study. As you have mentioned, one of the schools ranks higher overall, but the other ranks higher in your particular subarea. This shows that the rankings may not be a reliable indicator of the strength of a program in your specific field of interest.

Additionally, rankings can be influenced by factors such as funding and resources, which may not directly impact the quality of education and research opportunities for graduate students. It is important to consider other aspects such as faculty expertise, research opportunities, and program curriculum when making your decision.

There are also alternative resources, such as Phds.org, that provide data on specific aspects of graduate programs. However, as you have mentioned, their accuracy may not be reliable. It is important to gather information from multiple sources and make an informed decision based on your personal priorities and goals.

In conclusion, while US News rankings can provide some insight into the reputation and resources of a graduate program, they should not be the sole determining factor in your decision. It is important to consider various factors and gather information from multiple sources to make an informed decision that aligns with your personal goals and interests.

1. How are US News Rankings determined?

US News Rankings are determined by a variety of factors, including peer assessment, student selectivity, faculty resources, research activity, and alumni giving. These factors are carefully evaluated and weighted to create a final ranking for each graduate program.

2. Are US News Rankings a reliable measure of a graduate program's quality?

While US News Rankings can provide a general idea of a graduate program's quality, they should not be the sole factor in choosing a program. It's important to consider other factors such as program curriculum, faculty expertise, and research opportunities.

3. How often are US News Rankings updated?

US News Rankings are updated on an annual basis. However, some program rankings may not change significantly from year to year.

4. Can a program's ranking change drastically from year to year?

Yes, a program's ranking can change significantly from year to year. This can be due to changes in the program's performance or changes in the ranking methodology.

5. Do US News Rankings only consider US-based graduate programs?

While US News Rankings primarily focus on US-based graduate programs, they also include a small number of international programs in certain fields. However, the majority of programs ranked are located in the US.