What is Usury and How Does it Affect Our Economy and Morality?

In summary, usury refers to excessive interest on loans and there are differing opinions on whether it is moral or not. If usury was not allowed in day to day banking, it would have a significant impact on our lives and economy. Some argue that it would prevent exploitation of borrowers, while others believe it would hinder economic growth.
tumor
Could someone explain to me what is the deal with the usury or interest on loans stuff?Some people claim that it is immoral to claim usury(interests)on loans, while others have no problem with that.
If we had no usury in our day to day banking in what way would our lives and economy be different?

Physics news on Phys.org
tumor said:
Could someone explain to me what is the deal with the usury or interest on loans stuff?Some people claim that it is immoral to claim usury(interests)on loans, while others have no problem with that.
If we had no usury in our day to day banking in what way would our lives and economy be different?

If I understood what an usury is I would answer but I don't. Sorry.

The Bob (2004 ©)

From my understanding:

Usury is excessive interest on a loan. ie, companies are only allowed (by law) to charge so much interest on a loan otherwise it constitutes usury, which is illegal.

Usury originally meant ANY interest on loans; both the Jewish and Christian scripture advise making loans with no interest. Later loopholes were found, and usury came to be defined as excessive interest, with the excessivity to be determined by statute.

1. What is usury or interest on loans?

Usury, also known as interest on loans, is the practice of charging a certain percentage of the principal amount of a loan as a fee for borrowing money. This fee is usually calculated annually and is added to the total amount that the borrower must repay.

2. How does usury affect borrowers?

Usury can significantly impact borrowers by increasing the overall amount they owe on a loan. This can make it more challenging for borrowers to repay the loan, potentially leading to financial difficulties and debt. It can also make it harder for borrowers to access credit in the future.

3. Why do lenders charge interest on loans?

Lenders charge interest on loans as a way to make a profit. By charging interest, lenders can earn money on the loans they provide and cover any potential risks associated with lending money. Interest rates can also reflect the current market conditions and the borrower's creditworthiness.

4. Is usury legal?

The legality of usury varies depending on the country and jurisdiction. In some places, there are laws that limit the amount of interest that lenders can charge. In other areas, there may be no specific laws regarding usury, but lenders are expected to follow ethical guidelines when setting interest rates.

5. How can borrowers protect themselves from usury?

Borrowers can protect themselves from usury by carefully reading and understanding the terms and conditions of a loan before signing. It's essential to compare interest rates from different lenders and choose one with reasonable rates. Borrowers can also seek advice from financial experts to ensure they are making informed decisions about borrowing money.