How Do UT and UCF Compare for Physics/Optics Studies?

• Thread starter yasoumalaka
  • Start date
In summary, UCF's program in Electro-optics is better than Texas, but Texas' physics department is better than UCF's. UT, hands down.
yasoumalaka
What do you guys think these schools when it comes to studying physics/optics

Physics news on Phys.org
UCF's program in Optics is a graduate program only. I do not have any thought on how good their undergrad departments are.

Not a clue about UT (Texas, Tennesee ?)

Sorry University of Texas. I plan on going into a graduate program. Is UCF a well respected program?

UT, hands down (since you're asking)!

I'd say that UCF's program in Electro-optics is better than Texas, but Texas' physics department is better than UCF's... Depends on what you want to study...

Thanks for helping with this. I live close to UCF and am already a citizen of the State of Florida, but I prefer not to reinvest in realestate here in Florida. On the other hand Texas would be totally new for me and I'd have to pay out of state for a year. In that case I could lower the cost by going to a community college for the first 60. Do you think that would hurt my academic standing? Also I have some other questions about these schools.

Are they both pretty good? What makes Texas better than UCF? If I go for a Doctorate degree can I start my own research projects? Will starting aproject be easier at Texas?

Oh and I should add that I want to go into something like Elctro-optics, but EE isn't out of the picture.

Also something I'm taking into consideration is the fact that Austin has many tech companies to work for. Do you think its possible to get a lowly job with them during my Bachelors?

Last edited:
I'd go to a state school in Florida for a BS then go on to UCF for grad work in electro-optics, theirs is the best in that technical area. As for getting a job, worry about that when you are getting close to being finished, worrying 5 years out isn't going to get you anything but heartburn and grey hair. A lot goes on in 5 years or more...

Hey thanks again for the advice. It would really help me get support from everyone around me if I was working for a company that does some sort of R &D related to my studies. I'd even be interested in a long term internship or CoOp where I could get an even balance of work and study. I guess what I'm asking is 2 things. Are companies interested in having students around working for free through out there bachelors? and will I have a fair chance at getting 3.5+ gpa when taking 12 credits and working part time in something physics related? This is assuming the job isn't that demanding and I can take off to study for test.

Oh and to maintain my sanity I like to read non physics stuff an hour somtimes two per day and I like to kiteboard one day a week. There is absolutely no drinking in my life.

I think if I stayed on schedule I could accomplish all this. I think I would only have about 15-20 hours that I could work a week. So this might limit me to just helping on research projects.

Dr Transport, what do you think about me getting my first 60 credits at a community college and then finish my bachelors at UCF.

Last edited:

1. What is the main difference between UT and UCF in terms of their physics/optics programs?

The main difference between UT and UCF in terms of their physics/optics programs is the overall focus and specialization. UT (University of Texas) has a stronger focus on theoretical physics and research, while UCF (University of Central Florida) has a stronger focus on applied physics and hands-on experience.

2. Which university has a better reputation in the field of physics/optics?

This can vary depending on the specific subfield within physics/optics. UT generally has a stronger overall reputation, particularly in the field of theoretical physics. However, UCF has a strong reputation for its optics program and is known for producing graduates who are well-prepared for careers in the industry.

3. What types of research opportunities are available for undergraduate students at UT and UCF in the field of physics/optics?

Both UT and UCF offer a variety of research opportunities for undergraduate students in the field of physics/optics. UT has a larger research budget and more resources for students to conduct research, while UCF has a strong emphasis on involving undergraduates in research projects and providing hands-on experience.

4. Are there any notable alumni from UT and UCF's physics/optics programs?

Yes, there are many notable alumni from both UT and UCF's physics/optics programs. Some notable alumni from UT include Nobel laureate Steven Weinberg and astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson. Some notable alumni from UCF include optics pioneer Zeno Geradts and NASA astronaut Nicole Stott.

5. Which university has a stronger job placement rate for graduates in the field of physics/optics?

Both UT and UCF have strong job placement rates for graduates in the field of physics/optics. However, UCF may have a slight advantage as it has strong connections with the optics industry and offers more hands-on experience, making graduates more attractive to employers. Ultimately, job placement success depends on the individual student's skills and experience.