Kitchen Utensils: Safety, Quality & Design

• Thread starter Oxygenne
  • Start date
In summary, a customer is seeking advice on whether or not to continue using spoons, forks, and knives made in China that were labeled as stainless steel but now show a reddish-brown color underneath. There is concern that the color could be copper, which can be poisonous, and the customer is also wondering how to identify better quality utensils in the future. The conversation also includes a discussion on the different types of stainless steel and their properties.
JasonRox said:
You get what you pay for. When China starts to increase quality and such, prices will go up and then you'll start complaining again.

If you had bothered to read my post with a bit of comprehension rather than just snap out a quick one liner you would have realized that my complaint was that for many consumer products there is no longer a reasonable choice. We have to buy either the $20 tableware or the $400 tableware. When it comes to small kitchen appliances there is no choice period.

I try not to be cheap when it's things that can directly affect my health, like eating.

It isn't a matter of being cheap, or buying the best, it is a matter of knowing where those items that affect your health come from. 30% of the seafood consumed by Americans comes from China. It contains drugs and other substances not approved by the FDA. Labeling with country of origin was required starting in 05 for fish and seafood sold in grocery stores. But people who eat in restaurants don't have a clue as to its origin.

Of the billions of dollars worth of food and dietary supplements consumed by Americans, 70% comes from China and there are no labels to indicate the country of origin.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Resale shops..RESALE SHOPS...you can still get very good quality kitchen items for very very low cost.

Somehow, years ago, my 6" forged steel Sabbatier chef's knife went missing. I have never found a replacement. Life is not the same.

turbo-1 said:
Somehow, years ago, my 6" forged steel Sabbatier chef's knife went missing. I have never found a replacement. Life is not the same.

That's the big problem with those life time warranties. I tend to lose stuff before I wear it out.

edward said:
That's the big problem with those life time warranties. I tend to lose stuff before I wear it out.
We were moving a lot, following jobs and trying to "pare" expenses in rents. That knife was an extension of my right hand - perfect size, perfect balance, and it would hold an edge like nobody's business. When I made chili or spaghetti sauce or stews, that one knife was my "go-to". I have some OK knives now, including a couple of older steel chef's knives, but they just don't fit me. I could halve, core, and chop a big bell pepper in seconds with that knife, and it feels like I'm wading through molasses trying to accomplish the same tasks with my current knives. I paid $25 for that knife in 1976 (that was over 4 hours gross wages for me back then) but I knew as soon as I picked it up and thumbed the edge blade (high-pitched ring!) that it would be my favorite knife and I had to have it. :cry:

Sabbatier chef's knifes go from 25 dollars up on e-bay..maybe you could drop a little hint in Santas ear.

hypatia said:
Sabbatier chef's knifes go from 25 dollars up on e-bay.
But remember that 'Sabatier' just refers to an area in France that originally made this style of knife. It doesn't say anything about the quality of any other knife that some marketing person stuck the name on.

mgb_phys said:
But remember that 'Sabatier' just refers to an area in France that originally made this style of knife. It doesn't say anything about the quality of any other knife that some marketing person stuck the name on.
Yes, and I am leery of buying a knife that I cannot personally inspect, even if it has the stars and elephant logo that my old knife had. There is no knowing what a previous owner might have subjected it to, either, including overheating the edge by letting someone sharpen it on a belt grinder or grinding wheel, like in that Alton Brown video above. My knives are all sharpened on a lubricated diamond-impregnated stone, then honed with a steel.

And to mention that none of my best knives have ever been inside a dishwasher.

jmnew51 said:
And to mention that none of my best knives have ever been inside a dishwasher.
Another good point. My 6" chef's knife was sharpened and honed when necessary, and never once was the handle ever immersed in water. The blade was washed and promptly dried after every use. And I never removed the oxidation stains from the blade. They are a shield against further oxidation. I made a small paring knife out of a high-carbon industrial blade years ago and tempered it so it would hold a great edge, then I blued it (like bluing guns) to prevent further oxidation. The blade was made by Hyde and is a great piece of steel. It's a sweet little knife.