Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Utterly confused about BBT

1. May 21, 2004 #1
    According to the research I have conducted on the internet (google), I have found that according to the BB Theory, the universe began expanding in extremely short intervals of time. Also, I have learned that the BBT says that the universe was supposed to have originated from a singularity.

Now here is my problem. It takes 10^49 (I think; if that is incorrect, the point is that it takes billions of years..) for a singularity to have fully evoporated. That is older than the universe, and defintely older than the extremely short intervals of time. I must get going now, but I hope you all understand my problem here without my restating my points.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2004 #2
  4. May 24, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

An "evaporating singularity" in that time frame sounds like a Black Hole singularity...which is very different thing than the "singularity" which is frequently discussed as the Big Bang seed. So it seems that you are confusing a point-of-compressed-mass-in-space with all-space. The Big Bang was the extremely rapid expansion of space that marks the beginning of our universe. A Black Hole is a collection of matter compressed down to a point.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?