Are Uuq and Uuh: Same or Different?

• Thread starter dr.ununquadium
  • Start date
In summary, it is possible for two elements with the same atomic mass to exist. However, this is most likely due to coincidence rather than any actual difference between the elements.
dr.ununquadium
Uuq and Uuh the Same ??

As I recently glanced over the newer up-to-date Periodic Table of Elements, I noticed that (Uuq) Ununquadium and (Uuh) Ununhexium the so-far 2 only unknown elements have the same Atomic Mass. It is possible that they are differnent but it didn't seem too possible that they could be, based on the fact that no known 2 elements are. I did some research but there was no extensive information to base a theory, so does anyone know why that is and if it could be noticable possible that those 2 elements are in fact the same? Thank You.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Uh, I'm sure they have different proton numbers, which justifies their different positions on the periodic table and thus being called different elements.

Having the same mass? Remember that for these elements, we have only managed to observe them for tiny fractions of a second - they most certainly are not stable. Therefore, the mass refers to the isotope that was first synthesised, and hence it is probably just a matter of co-incidence that different methods used to make the two elements resulted in some atoms with the same nucleon number.

It is definitely possible to have two atoms of different elements have the same mass. Consider an atom of carbon-14 and an atom of N-14 -> same mass, drastically different properties. In this case, their accepted RAM are different because we are taking averages, and most C is in the form C12. But with the ununs, when we only have a tiny amount, it's not all that unlikely.

In summary:

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

Exactly.

Well...its been a while since i have had this kinda science, but personally i think that since most if not all of the "Unun----" elements degrade very rapidly, and therefore cannot be effectivly used for anything, should not be elements. But i guess since they are technically elements on account of them having more protons or whatever, but since they ARE elements...blah blah blah...Time to make a sammach.

1. Are Uuq and Uuh the same element?

Uuq and Uuh are both elements on the periodic table, but they are not the same element. Uuq is the symbol for element 114, while Uuh is the symbol for element 116. They have different atomic numbers and properties, making them distinctly different elements.

2. Why are Uuq and Uuh often compared?

Uuq and Uuh are often compared because they are both synthetic elements that were discovered around the same time and have similar properties. They are also both located in the same group on the periodic table, which is the group of elements known as the "superheavy" elements.

3. How were Uuq and Uuh discovered?

Uuq and Uuh were both discovered through experiments involving nuclear fusion. Uuq was first synthesized in 1999 by a team of scientists in Russia, while Uuh was first created in 2000 by a team of scientists in the United States.

4. What are the properties of Uuq and Uuh?

Uuq and Uuh have similar properties, as they both belong to the same group on the periodic table. They are both highly radioactive and have very short half-lives, making them difficult to study. They are also both expected to have similar chemical and physical properties to other elements in their respective groups.

5. Are there any practical uses for Uuq and Uuh?

Currently, there are no practical uses for Uuq and Uuh as they have only been created in very small quantities and have very short half-lives. However, continued research and discovery of these elements could potentially lead to new scientific and technological advancements in the future.