Exploring How Suncreams Absorb UV Radiation

In summary: Yes, it's possible that there are other photons that are less energetic than UV photons that could help promote the atomic electron back to the ground state.
Air

Homework Statement

Scientists put a lot of effort into developing suncreams which absorb the damaging wavelength of ultraviolet radiation. Suggest what might be happening to the atoms within the suncream when they absorb ultraviolet photons.

Homework Equations

None. This is an explain question.

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe the photons are excited to higher energy levels.

^What more could I write to explain this?

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds to me like you're supposed to be doing some research. Have you tried to dig up anything online?

No, it's a past exam question. One mark was obtained with what I had written about energy levels and the second mark says 'related to electron energy levels' which I don't know how to explain.

Surely, what I have written that photons are excited to different energy level is the same concept?

No, not really. Photons aren't excited to different energy levels, atomic electrons are. And you can be more detailed. Remember that UV photons are more energetic than visible photons, which is why they cause damage. So you've got a powerful UV photon coming into penetrate deep into your skin tissue. But you've protected yourself with this cream that somehow softens the blow. Let's think about how that could happen.

The UV photon slams into you and gets absorbed by an atom in the sunscreen. When this happens, an electron gets excited from the ground state to a high energy level (skipping some intermediate energy levels).

Can you briefly describe a deexcitation process in which the emitted photons are less energetic than the initial UV photon?

Thanks for the great explanation. It was very clear. Erm, I didn't quite understand the question, but I think you wanted me to explain the process when electrons fall back levels.

When the electrons de-excite, they emit photons corresponding to the change in energy levels. These photons are by definition traveling at [itex]3.00 \times 10^8 \ \mathrm{ms^{-1}}[/itex] and release light.

Is that correct? :confused:

Air said:
When the electrons de-excite, they emit photons corresponding to the change in energy levels.

Right, and if the UV photon promotes an atomic electron up several energy levels, can you think of a way that it could come back down by (perhaps more than one, hint hint) photons that are all less energetic than UV photons?

What is the purpose of studying how suncreams absorb UV radiation?

The purpose of studying how suncreams absorb UV radiation is to understand how they work to protect our skin from the harmful effects of UV radiation, such as sunburn and skin cancer. This knowledge can help us develop more effective sunscreens and educate people on the importance of protecting their skin from the sun.

How do suncreams absorb UV radiation?

Suncreams absorb UV radiation through a process called photoprotection. The active ingredients in suncreams, such as zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, act as a physical barrier that reflects or scatters UV rays. Other ingredients, like avobenzone and oxybenzone, work by absorbing UV radiation and converting it into heat energy.

What factors affect the ability of suncreams to absorb UV radiation?

The ability of suncreams to absorb UV radiation can be affected by factors such as the SPF (sun protection factor) level, the type and amount of active ingredients, and the application method. Additionally, environmental factors like water and sweat can also impact the effectiveness of suncreams.

Are all suncreams equally effective in absorbing UV radiation?

No, not all suncreams are equally effective in absorbing UV radiation. Different suncreams may have different levels of SPF, different types and amounts of active ingredients, and may be formulated for different purposes (e.g. for sensitive skin or for water resistance). It is important to choose a suncream with a high SPF and broad-spectrum protection to ensure maximum UV absorption.

What are the potential risks of not using suncreams that effectively absorb UV radiation?

The potential risks of not using suncreams that effectively absorb UV radiation include sunburn, premature aging, and an increased risk of skin cancer. UV radiation can damage the DNA in our skin cells, leading to mutations that can cause skin cancer. It is important to use effective suncreams and follow proper sun protection practices to reduce these risks.